Revell 1/72 SPAD XIII (Build log)

Build log Day 15
Got the camo on. Now I gotta do touch-ups. :roll_eyes:

Well it feels like progress, but I don’t think I’ll be done by Thursday like I hoped. :wave:

2 Likes

Build Log Day 16
Did touch ups all night.Got the riggingplaced back on the wing that I’d pulled out. Maybe I can do some assembly tomorrow.

:wave:

2 Likes

Braille scale Tripes and Bipes and early monos … patience, perseverance and repetition. Worth every frustrating moment when it all comes together or so I hear. You’re motivating me to actually finish a Dr.1 that’s staring at me from under it’s dust cover. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

Build Log Day 17.
Starting to look a little like a SPAD. Wing is in place, now I just have to start pulling the rigging. :cold_sweat:

Oh and all the little details I forgot to do… :roll_eyes: :wave:

2 Likes

Build Day 18, 19 and 20
Well day 18 was mostly a waste as when I tried to start pulling the rigging, the top wing popped off. :rage:
Day 19 I got the interplane struts replaced and the inner 6 (top wing to fuselage lines pulled.
Day 20 I got the starboard mid-wing lines placed and started on the port side, but one of the lines had to be replaced.

2 Likes

Build Day 21
Good news, Bad news.Had to give up bench time so that my grandson could work on his models. :grimacing: Managed to get most of the port wing mid wing rigging done.

2 Likes

Build Day 22
I’m calling this progress. I tried to start routing the rigging, found a couple of lines were missing, too short or pulled out as I tried to route them. They’re all replaced now and ready for final routing and supergluing into place.

Oh and I had to fix one of the inter wing struts. :angry: :wave:

2 Likes

Build Log Day 23
!@#%^ I had hoped to make real progress today. Hoped to get all of the wing rigging done. Got the inner rigging done.

When I went for the outer lines, one of them was missing… :rage: So I had to replace it and wait another day for the outer lines. :wave:

1 Like

Build Log day 24
Soo close, started to clip the outer lines for gluing and one pulled out… :angry: Well got 6 of the remaining 8 lines pulled and glued.

1 Like

Build Log Day 25
Finally got all the wing rigging in place. Even got the fuel tank? painted.

Next onto undercarriage! :wave:

2 Likes

Build Log day 26
Finished up the wing rigging and painted over the holes in the bottom wing. Also touched up the doped linen that I messed up.

Got the front undercarriage on, and straightened out. Added a new (2nd time) tailskid, maybe this one will last.

Next up more rigging for the undercarriage and tailfeathers. :wave:

2 Likes

Keep at it, she’s coming together well now.

Build Log Day 27
Had to re do the undercarriage. It seems solid now. Routed the rigging and anchored the lower wires. I’ll tension the upper lines tomorrow.

A lot of patience being exhibited here Mark

Build Log Day 28
Undercarriage rigging completed.

And the stabilizer rigging is nearly done.

Now I gotta figure out the rudder rigging. :wave:

2 Likes

Build Log Day 29
While trying to re drill the holes for the rudder controls I managed to break loose the stabilizer rigging. AARRGGHH. Well got the rudder lines anchored, but I may have to wait till I get the rudder decal on to finish the line.

Looks like I’ve got some touchups before I can go to a clear coat. :wave:

2 Likes

Build Log Day 30
Spend almost all night on touchups. Fixed what I could, and added a cockpit coming.

Misunderstood the instructions, I thought the pilot sat on top of the two pins in the cockpit. No, the pins went into holes in the pilot’s hips. So I performed a hiporectomy and opened up the holes to the bottom of the seat so I can place the pilot over the pins and hopefully he sits in the right position. :wave:

3 Likes

Build day 31
One step forward, Drilled out the cowling to accept a bass tube to hole the propeller. Should be slick enough to allow the prop to spin when you blow on it. Kind of a thing in my model club.

One step back. Had to re-rig the undercarriage. Maybe this time it’ll hold when I trim the excess.

Maybe tomorrow I’ll get that clear coat on tomorrow. :wave:

2 Likes

Build log day 32
Finally got the clear coat on!

Also got the exhaust pipes painted so no I can start decals and weathering. I might just get this one finished. :wave:

3 Likes

Congrats Mark, you’re into the home stretch. Looking good.