RFM's new T 55 looks tasty,

Well, while there might appear to be a certain duplication here I’m more than happy that firms are tackling more Cold War subjects. I must admit that we are pretty flush with the Miniart T-54/55 kits, the endless T-62s from Trumpeter, and also the latter’s T-64s, T-72s and T-80s.

I have around 3 x Tamiya T-55s in my stash, but I still hope to tackle them someday so probably won’t indulge myself in the RFM kit.

As I say, we’re getting there certainly regarding Cold War vehicles; as for figures…(!)

1 Like

While miniart and bronco share similarities. Bronco are hands down my favorite kits. They have high parts count and can be fiddly but the fit is tremendous and they build really nice

Have not built a Bronco kit so I can’t compare them.

I can’t get behind their soft plastic. High parts count, maybe?

Lucky modeler :wink:
It has happened to me with several different manufacturers …

1 Like

I’ve found only one pic of a 55 with the smoke launchers-anyone else seen any?

Was it this picture?

or maybe this from some military hardware sales event
It has some other contraptions (Drozd???) further back on the turret so it is probably some
other variant (T-55 AD?), i.e. NOT the supposed obr. 1981

Thank you.
Its not the photo that I have but I’ll take it.
I wonder if the top pic is russian?

Haven’t got the foggiest idea …

Interesting!

After looking closely on the top pic, I believe the AAMG is NVST or Kord.

I built their M1114 Uparmored Humvee and it had its issues (mostly with the photoetched parts); but in the end it assembled into a very nice-looking Humvee. I have the M1114-HA version as well.

True, but the market for the T-54/55 is preaty much covered by Takom, Tamiya and Miniart. What will the RFM kit bring that warants a new purchase ? So they are trying to push into an already saturated market. Not a great cost/revenue move.

Personally I think it will do well as the miniart kits are difficult to build and many will not even look at them.
I tried on of their 54s and found it a joyless build and put it on the pile of shame.

RFM kits are highly engineered with excellent fit, detail, and accuracy. There are lots of RFM fans out there that will go for this kit.

3 Likes

Did they give any mention of potential full interior releases?

I am one of them.

I haven’t hear of one

as an example of this,

2 Likes

Looks like a Russian built 55 by going by the engine deck.
Hopefully they will do a Czech/Polish built as well.