Rookie Mistake - M3 Bradley CFV Repaint

I will admit I made a horrible rookie mistake. I did not check my reference before going to paint. So with that the Old Post had to be deleted because a very nice person on here pointed out that my sand color was all wrong so the Bradley had to go back to the pain rack.@ heavyarty

4 Likes

Looking good in proper Forest Green. Nice recovery. I say make it a REFORGER vehicle in Germany.

It can go along w/my M2 in REFORGER 85.
https://archive.armorama.com/forums/279232/

Hmm, the finished pics are gone from the above post, here it is.
IMG_1301
IMG_1311

3 Likes

Fortunately it was a quick easy repaint

@HeavyArty .
That looks good . Thanks again for pointing out my mistake .
I know better than to not check reference .
Ill be double sure to check in the future.

I saw the post. I wasn’t overly concerned with the color as it hadn’t been weathered yet, so I ask myself -what does all wrong look like?
The color is not the same as now, especially if depictin an old relic, and those relics come in so many shades you really can’t wrong.
I’m not going to show a whole slew of photos as my time is somewhat precious to me, but in similar threads I’ve shown vehicles side by side with the three different colors, all obviously taken in identical light conditions, and even vehicles with three shades of sand on the same vehicle.
Then:

And not so then:

Well that is a interesting turn . well i guess it is fine either way.
I normally do extensive research and failed to do so this time. You can bet that wont happen again

I’m still not convinced. The pic Rob shows could be an M2A1, can’t tell from it. It could also be an incorrectly painted Gate Guard. There were a lot of these done in sand after ODS even though they were older models that weren’t actually there. I still don’t think there were many (if any) original M3s in overall sand.

I went looking again last night and could not find one in sand , that dosent mean they didnt exist… Im just mad with myself for making that mistake.
Im normally super sleuth with reference.
All said and done , it looks ok in green .
This was not a serious build for me to start with. This was just something out of the norm .
When I start my Churchill AVRE that will be a different story . Have discovered a new found obsession with the Churchill.

After the trials and tribulations with what was going to be a simple build . This is the end result.

10 Likes

Very nice! And in sand it would still have been a very nice build as well … :+1: :+1:

Looks good. The base came out nicely as well.

Thank you for the kind words. It was just nice to be able to recover a failed build…lol

@HeavyArty . Thank you Brother. Without you saying what was wrong i would have just kept going the wrong way with it . Thanks again.

No problem. I’m happy to help out. A couple more pointers/suggestions. Do you plan to paint the headlights, tail lights, and turn signals? What about some bumper numbers as well?

I plan on drilling those out . I have some lenses inbound.

Good deal. They will look good.

1 Like

Damn you build fast! That looks nice. The missing side skirt is a nice touch. Crews often secured then in the up position. You’d never know it from the kit but there’s additional armor in those skirts.
MV Lenses are nice, but after a few dozen builds you might tire of them and decide to made your own, for literally pennies. A little foil, some clear epoxy, and some sprue for the filament tube, and you’re done.

I’m still not convinced. The pic Rob shows could be an M2A1, can’t tell from it. It could also be an incorrectly painted Gate Guard. There were a lot of these done in sand after ODS even though they were older models that weren’t actually there. I still don’t think there were many (if any) original M3s in overall sand.

Well that’s certainly a load off my mind, because I wasn’t trying to convince you or anyone else of anything - simply sharing some photos that show shades of sand are many and varied. These are certainly no gate guards, unless they’re guarding the gate to the refit facility. Personally I used the hole in the fence…
The age is anyone’s guess, but the style of track certainly offers a clue.

Thank you my friend. That image of a M3 covered with a tarp would be a really cool build… Maybe another M3 in the future.
Now I am currently obsessing over a M18 Hellcat… This one will be a serious build where I correct thw shortcomings and add whats missing… Allied or U.S vehicles have generally been ignored by me , now im obsessed with them .

Nice dynamic display on a simple base. :+1: :+1:

Thank you . It was a quick down and dirty kinda base … This wasnt a serious build and it was time to move on …lol