Russian Railroad Station

In my hometown, we have a retired railroad station, moved from its original location by the Burlington Northern tracks, now the home of the Brookfield Historical Society. Another town has a similar retired railroad station. Presumably both date from the late nineteenth century, and ours is red brick and wood, two stories, a large waiting area in the middle of the first floor (originally separated into womens’ and mens’ waiting areas as was the case in that era), and a large baggage area on one end, with stationmaster’s quarters on the upper floor. The other station had everything on one level.

I don’t know if Russia had such stations; I saw a production of “Fiddler on the Roof” in a theater in the round (props but no scenery), and one scene had the village put up a red flag to signal the nearby train to stop for passengers. I wonder if such stations even survive in Russia now.

1 Like

Search “ Bald & Bankrupt” on You Tube, he makes his way around the former Soviet republics “adventurizing” and has a knack for finding such things.

Hi Tom,

FWIW on Wikipedia, apparently there are still a lot of railroad stations in Russia… The following has 14 different categories. Only looked at a couple.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki
Category:Railway stations in Russia - Wikipedia

Now this is really odd. Apparently the Soviets built a lot of “children’s railroads”:

This is Leningradsky Station. I travelled by train from it to what was then Leningrad overnight. The station there was very similar, having been designed by the same architect.

What an adventure.

Check out 50 second mark.

1 Like

Lol classic stuff there from one of my favorite shows of all time

1 Like

Very interesting. Never heard of it. I played with HO trains when I was a kid. Didn’t realize I was kinda training for a future career, same as playing with Army men lol!