“saisir le jour”

A small vignette featuring Alpine miniatures 1/35th scale 101st NCO alongside a Tamiya WILLYS MB with an Aber p.e. set.

39 Likes

Very nice presentation! I really like the multiple levels and layers in the terrain and groundwork!

2 Likes

Incredible work there Steve!

1 Like

Outstanding! You’ve covered all the bases with your vignette. Creative title as well! :hammer_and_wrench: :art::paintbrush:

—mike

1 Like

Really nice and groundwork takes it to a new level.

2 Likes

Wow Thanks everyone, getting used to working with pigments, glazes and all these new products but it sure is fun!

Couple of errors with the markings but mud will take care of that and shame on me , I used the kit’s decals. 5th armored division didn’t enter Normandy until August I believe and the 101st was already gone and no TP markings.

Also removed the leaves on the so called mountain laurel bushes.

14 Likes

Impressive work! :+1:

1 Like

Excellent job Steve! The Jeep, figure and ground work are first rate. Can you describe the work you did on the base?
It’s excellent and just the type I want to start using because it really gives the finished product a professional look.

1 Like

Richard and Fred thank you so much !

Richard I have some in progress pictures of the base I will post, I’ll also go over the steps I used if I can remember them all :grin:, I mostly followed uncle nightshift and smallsoldiers videos.

Francois Verlinden was and still is an inspiration, over on the one Facebook page where I posted pictures of this he actually gave it a like and I was stunned !

4 Likes

I’m not surprised. Great work and I really like the figure.

1 Like

You’ve really put a lot of thought into the various elements of this vignette. Each bit works to complement the other- the rough road and mud can be seen on the dirty, well used Jeep and the fairly worn paratroopers uniform. The base is also just the right size not to overshadow the relatively small jeep and figure. A real piece to learn from and be inspired by.

2 Likes

Very nice work indeed, but the road sign you’ve used is for a “Route Nationale” (#24 here) which is not appropriate here. This rather looks like a (very convincing) country path to me…

Here’s a period picture of another “Route Nationale” in Normandy, the #158, with a similar road sign

H.P.

3 Likes

I thought so. I’m a huge fan of night shift and among other things, love the bases he makes. Big fan of Verlinden as well; when I got serious about the hobby he was my foremost inspiration.

1 Like

Richard, Greg, Henri, thank you all!

Yep I made some mistakes but you know the saying, my next model will be my best ever😜 but it’s great to share the experience with all you guys. All these new products are amazing and Vallejo acrylics made me leave Tamiya paint .

Henri thank you new road signs (appropriate for the road) are on the way , the current one was not glued.

Richard just follow nightshifts cats and dogs video for the groundwork, instead of using enamels for the earth tones I used oils because it’s all I had but they work the same you just have to mix the colors. Still getting a handle on chipping( painting individually not hairspray) , it looks easy but it’s not .

I used the kit decals shame on me, didn’t do my homework but learned so much and had a lot of fun along the way and get a chance to hang with you guys.

Dedicated to my son who was in the good old 82nd and spent two years on vacation in Iraq.

7 Likes

Richard real dirt is the key, first time using it here also get your hands on smart mud it’s amazing.I’ve also finally got a handle on my Iwata airbrush , I can draw a line with it as fine as a human hair but still need lots o’ practice with it.

7 Likes

You’re welcome…But I’m not sure you would find any road signs along a country path like this one (in France at least…) :thinking:

An iconic Normande cow would be more meaningful but the base would be too small for it… :wink:

H.P.

1 Like

Nicely done.

Jim

1 Like

how did you do the tall hedgrow and small plants? are they commercial?

1 Like

Jim thank you .

Ron the hedges are commercial made by AK available in various colors but you’ll end up painting them black, the rest is static grass in various lengths.Placing the hedges was actually pretty easy, remove a clump and insert into your smart mud while still wet or they can be added after the smart mud has dried using pva glue. I was lucky that the clump I used stood up straight when placed on the groundwork.

2 Likes

thanks so much

1 Like