Sci-Fi and Alternative history campaign VIII

Thanks Zon :+1:, its pretty basic, but sets the scene.

The groundwork is looking super and that standing water looks spectacular. Sets the two levels off just right. This is going to look incredible with the vehicles on it.

1 Like

Thanks Matt as always. I do need to invest in some irregular tufts of various grasses and various lengths, as the ones I do always seem to come out a bit uniform no matter how I try cutting them up.

1 Like

2nd layer of AK puddles.

Put in 3 links of old King Tiger track. Will gently rust up the fuel drum later.

6 Likes

That looks good.
Might have to try this stuff.

It’s very good.
It self levels.
Need to apply in stages/layers.
Best put onto prepainted areas so it doesn’t seep away or into the base area
It allows you to see down into a little which is nice (as you can see on the track links)
It does have a few bubbles that appear, but easily got rid of with a cocktail stick.
As well as self leveling, it also flows around things like stones or the track links etc, which gives a nice natural look.

3 Likes

When I first posted in response to this campaign I was thinking of transforming a bone stock unpainted New Order TIE into something along the lines of a German splinter but I have changed my mind after seeing something during an unrelated online search, but it is still set in WWII. No more info until it’s finished but I think it will be pretty different.

4 Likes

Thanks. It does look very realistic.
I’ve got a few projects in the pipeline that could certainly use the stuff.

1 Like

Some close ups to try and show the depth it gives and how it flows to the edge like water would do.
And looking down at the submerged sprocket holes in the track

5 Likes

That water does look good Johnny. I have some but have not tried it yet, so this gives me some inspiration to give it a try.

Happy Modeling,
Zon

Please do Zon, its worth it, even if its only for little small puddles, the effect is so good. On that large close up of the track link, you can see the little group of bubbles to the right ? I simply put the pointy end of a cocktail stick into them and dragged them around to the side where the water meets the grass and they just popped.

If you follow those little guide lines I mentioned above, you cant really go wrong.
The only thing I would add is because the water is self levelling, make sure your base area is correctly adjusted for height or direction so the AK puddle doesnt run the wrong way. I fell into that trap when I used it first on my Panther off the bridge dio where the AK puddles ran off the base and over the frame as I didnt realise the groundwork wasnt totally balanced and flat.

1 Like

Good tips! Thanks for the info.

Looks great, Johnny. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That groundwork looks amazing John, and the water really is very impressive, it lifts everything to another level, especially with the discarded oil drum and track links, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

G, :beer:

4 Likes

It is good stuff. I like the fact you can see down into it for a few mm. Adds to the real look of it as water

3 Likes

Excellent effect there John. When people pour large quantities of resin for bespoke tables etc, they use heat to dispel bubbles. I wonder if a hair dryer would work to remove them from this stuff?

Thanks Peter :+1:. Yeah I have read and seen that about resin, and also read somewhere about pre warming slightly in (resin bottles) in warm water etc, to be honest though, for the small areas I have used it for, the cocktail stick or even a large sowing needle works fine. Also, some of the smaller bubbles, (very very small) also look realistic as like you’d see in some streams or large puddles from trapped air or small beasties living in it…

3 Likes

Can you post a picture of the bottle?
My LHS carries most of the AK range, so want to know what to keep a look out for.

4 Likes

Thanks John, I’ll my keep my eyes open.
Cheers.