Sci-Fi and Alternative history campaign VIII

Fitted the upper and lower hull together today. The nose section needed taping to hold it all together while it sets.

6 Likes

Fitted the warp-wings today. Not sure what theyā€™re called, but thatā€™s what Iā€™m referring to them as!

Bit tricky to fit as they kept wanting to fall off. Had to do each side at a time, taking care to get them at the same angles. Nearly time for some paint.
Itā€™s also starting to become unwieldy to work with because of the size.

6 Likes

Looking very good Stephen.

I was looking at these and a few other types on evil bay for the Big 3 group buildā€¦ It is actually a lot bigger than I thoughtā€¦ Will look nice with some colour on it :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks John. I think it is going to be an impressive display piece when done. Will need some care with painting to avoid it looking dull and monotone. I have a couple of ideas for that.

Hope you can find a kit for a reasonable price. Something Iā€™ve noticed is that a lot of sci-fi kits are going for stupid amounts in the UK. Especially on Evilbay. Iā€™m just glad I got a lot of them before the prices shot up. I think my all time best ever bargain was when I got a second hand 1/350 TMP Enterprise from Ā£25 at the local market. Still sealed too which was good. No way was I walking away from that!

3 Likes

Looking good, Stephen! Will look impressive when done!

2 Likes

John, if you do get yourself one of these, donā€™t make the same mistake with the engines as I did.
I speak of these inset grilles Iā€™ve highlighted here.

The join sticks out like a sore thumb and needed a lot of filling and sanding. Quite an awkward job. Iā€™m still not 100% happy with them. In hindsight I shouldā€™ve cut them out and backed them with sheet. If youā€™re lighting you could back them with clear or transparent orange plastic. Thereā€™s probably room for some micro-LEDā€™s inside the wings.

Just thought I would give you a heads up. Itā€™s about the only big problem part of the kit.
Iā€™d have to dig it out, but I think the Maquis Fighter also has the same horrible join in itā€™s engines.

Happy hunting.

2 Likes

The central fin has been fitted and I added a few more randomly shaped repair patches.

Think sheā€™s just about ready for some paint now. That will probably have to wait until next weekend. I have to do all my spraying and airbrushing outside. With the evenings getting darker and thoroughly horrible weather weā€™ve been getting, it does put a bit of a block on getting projects finished. I might be cutting it close with this one.

8 Likes

Looking good Stephen!

1 Like

Thanks Zon.
The finishing line is in sight, I just need a break in the weather to actually get it done!

In the meantime, Iā€™m doing a fair amount of test of the plates that go across the nose and those two other wings. The location points are a little vague.

1 Like

Afraid Iā€™m going to have to bow out of this one, thereā€™s just no way Iā€™m going to get it finished by the end of the month.
Iā€™ve only managed a partial primer coat at the weekend. I made a start Sunday but found out my can of Tamiya primer was empty and with the shop being shut, I had to resort to plan-B. Vallejoā€™s airbrushable primer. This doesnā€™t give as a good a coverage and is very thin. In the summer months itā€™s usually ok for a basic undercoat, but with the cold weather here it just wasnā€™t drying and started to run in a couple of places. Ended up getting the hair dryer on it and sanding back the runs.
I think Iā€™m going to wait until I have some time over the Christmas holidays to fully commit time to getting it painted.

3 Likes

Shame that happened but fully get your frustration Stephen. Regardless, I will look forward to see it finished when you get the chance :+1:

On the primer front, and you may well of tried it and didnā€™t like it, but have you ever considered Halfords primer range in the rattle cans ? I swear by them, they do a primer red, white, and grey, I have also used their Matt black and they are great, I have a can of each and they are all I consider using now. They dry in minutes and take every paint Iā€™ve tried.

1 Like

Unfortunately all the Halfords stores near us have long since closed. None within a reasonable travel distance.
A real shame because they do a bronze paint thatā€™s the exact match for Deckardā€™s car from Blade Runner. I think itā€™s Ford Bronze? Another project I started and need to finish.

2 Likes

Stephen, sorry to hear it. But better to wait than to rush it.

If you want I can make an extension until the end of the year, but if you rather wait until next sci-fi campaign that is also fine.

Remember any kit started in a previous sci-Di campaign, but left unfinished is ok for next campaign regardless of how far you got.

2 Likes

Thanks, I might carry on with it in the next campaign.
The idea I have for painting might take a little while to do and probably not something I want to rush.
The plan is to airbrush some areas in a lightened shade of beige, mask those then repeat with a couple of progressively darker shades before a final coat of neat beige. The colour Iā€™ve decided on is Revells acrylic 17 Africa Brown. Looks about the same colour as the filming model was painted. Iā€™m hoping that the final finish wonā€™t be too garish when I remove all the masking!

Still not sure what to do with the engines. I might try the same dayglo I used on the engines of the Romulan BoP I did a while back.

2 Likes

Jesper, I know this might be a bit cheeky of me to ask but you still be willing to grant an extension if I change my model?
Itā€™s cool if you canā€™t.

I feel that I just wonā€™t finish the Raider in time, so I want to switch to this single piece 3D printed Type-15 Shuttlepod from Cozmic Scale Models.

Itā€™s going to need a minimum of cleaning up and has a very simple colour scheme. This I can do by the end of the year.

Thanks

Stephen

5 Likes

Indeed a bit cheeky, but go for it :slightly_smiling_face: as long as it is started before the extension it will be fine.

How is the casting? I find some 3D to be almost perfect. Others lots of laser lines so hard they are almost impossible to sand.

Looking forward to seeing it done :+1:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks mate.
The printing is very nicely done. There are some noticeable lines on some of the angled surfaces, but theyā€™re very fine. It does seem to sand well from a little test I did on the bottom. It might all disappear under a coat of primer, but Iā€™ll run down all the surfaces I can to be certain.

I think the plastic filament printers use has improved a great deal, but I think cheaper ones still use crap plastic. I got a 1:1 Blade Runner 2049 Blaster a couple of years ago that is a very poor quality print, completely covered in big print lines. No amount of sanding worked! I resorted to filling it and sanding, but gave up after a about a week. Felt like fighting a losing battle.

Iā€™ve been doing a bit of googling for some images of the shuttle to get the colour scheme right. The instructions suggest gloss white, but that didnā€™t sound right. From what I can see, especially on some photos I found of the full size prop, a matt pale grey seems most likely. This would match the the grey and tan colour pallette of TNG. Itā€™s also in a heck of a lot easier to paint than gloss white!

5 Likes

Chaps, Iā€™m going to have to cry off on completion for this one; clearly a case of biting off more than I can chew so apologies all round. My project for a Deutsches Reich '46 scenario has stalled Iā€™m afraid, primarily due to real-life getting in the way a tad (demise of dog, demise of Dad, recovery in Malta - well, the latter was a bit of a luxury I admit) and has all impacted. Whilst mainly staff work and admin it has slowed me down.

I hope to revisit the project some time but will be unable to do so within the timeframe - a pity as once I got into it I found the modelling potential for What-ifs quite stimulating.

Hope to see it completed whenever you get the chance ā€¦ I do like a nice ā€œwhat ifā€ scenarioā€¦:+1:

Thanks John - Iā€™ll see what I can do; half the fun was devising a suitable ā€œback storyā€.

2 Likes