Sci-Fi and Alternative history campaign X

I dunno Nick, I see this more as a sportabout, not a weapons carrier. It should be shiny.

3 Likes

Shy, welcome onboard! :+1:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

How are you finishing your clone trooper? 501st battalion?

1 Like

Cody’s man, I guess😀

1 Like

Guided Missile Frigate: Day 9 (16)

Day 9 mostly involved building a third version of the crew section and then installing it. The triple tokamak stack at the rear also began to take shape. In the original drawing, the tokamak section was very long, very wide, and round. It is now much smaller and features an octagonal cross section.

The biggest lesson of this project is to build everything around a strong backbone running the length of the ship. Stacking boxes causes all sorts of alignment problems. It is a minor miracle that this thing is actually straight.

10 Likes

I’m loving this project!

2 Likes

@SSGToms , hi Matt, you know, I agree - this is a runabout, not a fighter! So, no weapons.

Over the last few days, I’ve added a lot of styrene:

It’s hard to believe that such a small project could use so much styrene! and of course, not a single square cut! :smile: Believe it or not, I didn’t waste too much in the process. This was pretty slow going - lay down a shape on one side, then match it on the other, and on from there. Because the sheet styrene is thin (.010") there are plenty of unseen blocks and gussets on the inside, well out of view.

Most of the seams are ok and look worse than they are in real life - pencil lines, multiple colors of plastic, glue overflow etc make them look pretty rough

The rear end was messy, with several unified surfaces, so, I did what I could to clean it up -

And, I had to agree with the comments, that some small wings up front would help, which I think they do. I think by adding them, something is added to the overall look, and help to tone down the look of the bracing of all of the front anti-g units. I might add some more body work under the rear pods - not sure about that just yet tho - :thinking:

@Uncle-Heavy shared some ideas about some front thrusters to aid in steering, and some sort of cockpit protection Many of you know I can’t pass up the opportunity for a roll bar! :smile:) - both ideas I like, but am still pondering how to install them in a way that looks integrated with the overall design and not cobbled on :thinking:

So, more plastic to add!

Cheers,
Nick

12 Likes

Guided Missile Frigate: Day 11 (18)

It may not look like much, but this picture shows how I solved the last major problem with this project. The octagonal box is a stack or three tokamaks. The cruiser has three fusion reactors for the same reason modern warships have multiple fission reactors. In the event of a flame out, a working reactor can reignite the failed one. In the event of reactor damage, the other reactors can keep the ship moving. (Edit: What I really mean here is retaining the ability to maneuver. An object in space keeps going when thrust stops.) Keeping the reactors clustered together at the rear of the ship, behind a particle barrier, protects the crew.

The tokamaks run on canisters of deuterium fuel. These canisters are represented by sections of half inch tube, cut in an aspect ratio of 2 to 1. Fuel canisters are round with flat tops for the same reason SCUBA tanks are round with flat bottoms. A cylinder with hemispherical caps is the most efficient way to store liquid fuel under pressure. The flattened ends make them easy to stack. The 2 to 1 aspect ratio also makes them easy to stack.

By using a standard fuel canister, ships can easily replenish fuel. At a space station, spent canisters are removed and replaced with fresh ones. Spent canisters are then scanned for fatigue, certified, and refilled. If a ship gets into serious trouble, fuel canisters are easily ejected. In an emergency, a ship can easily donate a canister to another ship.

This ship stores fuel canisters in wedge shaped racks attached to the outside of the tokamak . These racks fully support the weight of canisters when the ship is under thrust. The racks also channel fuel canisters into position during refueling, making that process easy.

Four fuel canisters feed each tokamak, providing a very large amount of reaction mass and redundancy. Internal plumbing allows any fuel canister to feed any tokamak.

Now I just need to attach the fuel canisters to the racks, racks to the tokamak stack, and the tokamak to the frame. With that done, final detail work can begin.

10 Likes

At the front view you can see how dificult it is to widen the body and keep it in balance L/R , not easy to handle ,i know that problem … :+1:

I think my last build would fit in alternative history , it is a Bugatti 35 , the old Airfix kit from 1975 , NOS .
And i started on 18th April .

11 Likes

I did a lot of painting in this and will continue it in a diorama together with a Auto Union race car.

13 Likes

G’day all
New here and saw this and thought I would throw my 2 cents worth in here.
Don’t know if they fit the story though.
Needed something different from my usual tanks, aircraft and helicopters.

2024-05-16T14:00:00Z

will down load some more if the crowd wants.

10 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

The crowd wants! That’s a really cool figure! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ha! @Killnoizer, well Kill, funny you’d mention my sloping nose - I noticed it too, but pretended I didn’t see it! But, that could only last so long, so, last night after posting, well, I went about figuring out why it was sloping and how to fix it - all via scientific study:

Yes, highly scientific - not really, just a few nearly front on pictures, none of which seemed to have been shot from the same distance or exactly perpendicular to the vehicle - oh come on!

Right, in the left picture, you can see the sloping nose! I left the gridlines on so I could find something of a level centerline - then, added the yellow triangle - yeah, it sloped. So, on the right picture, you can see the repair!

What a treat! Oh, so much skill and perseverance, truly a master model builder here! uhh, well, until, a guy managed to snap most of the right side anti-g unit off of the fuselage - it was left dangling by one badly bent strut arm - perfect :man_facepalming:. Not to worry, it’s now fixed, and only required a complete rebuild! :smile: I will not keep fooling around with it! :smile:

And, as I was planning on posting today anyway some other updates:

@Uncle-Heavy, Robin, suggested this could use some sort of a front thruster, to help with slow speed steering, so we now have a turret mounted thrust nozzle in front. Before I glued it down, made certain it would clear the small left and right side fins.

I have also started work on cockpit protection - as I will keep this open air, it will become a rollbar of sorts:

This was a tight squeeze, as the main anti-g unit is pretty big - and, then there is the pilot - and figuring out how the cage over the cockpit should sit:

This guy is a Hasegawa, 1/20 scale Ma. K. figure - plastic and just ok for assembly - happily, it’s hard to see how much filling was required to make this guy look right - that’s fine. The point tho, is that he is pretty big, and provides a good scale-giving indicator, so the cage over the cockpit needs to reflect his general size. I’m leaning toward a pair of bars over the center of the cockpit, attached to the installed rollbar, that will splay outward once past the control panel… :thinking:

So, on we go

Cheers
Nick

12 Likes

:+1: :wave: :smiley:

3 Likes

Welcome aboard Troy.

3 Likes

That looks really cool with the figure next to it for scale.

3 Likes

Hello gents - will the good times just not end?

I include a self portrait - a whole week packed full of this joy…

With the nose resolved, it was brought to my attention via PM that something else I had pondered and ignored was - NOT LEVEL - no, it wasn’t. It was the cowling behind the cockpit. But, since then, I’d added something of a roll cage to the cockpit - which was of course integrated into the cowling - hmmmm

Out came the knife and the cowling was squared up - and is now level…this brings to light a few other problems - but for now, they too will go ignored! :smile:

Above you can see the cage, and tapering roof over the cockpit - I tapered it inward, as, although giant, my test figures (I’m guessing closer to 1/18 than 1/20) suggest that a pilot would need room to get in - even if they were closer to scale -

So, on we go -

Cheers
Nick

11 Likes

Guided Missile Frigate: Day 13 (21)

Days 12 and 13 were spent assembling fuel cylinder cradles and the thruster section.

With all major pieces done, I’ll spend a week adding details then send this to the garage for painting. I hope.

12 Likes

This one is a tad smaller than Sir Merlin Barksalot.
Waiting for the wife to send the pictures on her phone.

Some more of Sir Merlin Barksalot…

9 Likes

6 Likes

9 Likes