Sd. Kfz. 9 FAMO winch cable size

Hello all. I am in the process of building the Tamiya Famo and was thinking of upgrading the winch cable that comes with the kit (the white twine) with a copper after market one. I need your help with the following:

1. Has anyone done this in the past? If so, what would be the recommendation on the after market cable?
  2. How did you go about fixing the copper cable to the inside of the winch? Tamiya suggests in the instructions to put the twine inside and cover with the plastic small tube - sorry the name escapes me now.
  3. Does anyone know the diameter of the cable that was used on the real truck? That could give me an indication on the replacement AM copper cable.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Sebastian

3 Likes

Here is the modern replacement cable as seen or the Wheatcroft restored vehicle.:
(You will have to judge cable size for yourself,)

0df593f0c9aba5305cc2b1d4383a190cd0455e97_2_600x500

In this original photo you again see the winch cable:
Some Famo’s had a fixed jib or davit installed in the load bed to help raise the plow.

Judging by these period photos I would say the Wheatcroft Famo uses a heavier cable than the original, though the original cable may be stretched (tightened, therefore appearing to be a smaller gauge) simply due to heavy, constant use.

One advantage to using the Tamiya twine is its’ flexibility versus the use of actual wound scale metal cable. (To each his own.)

1 Like

Myself, I would be more concerned about the missing winch access panel in the floor of theTamiya load box.

2 Likes

@ Jedi Master (Sebastian).
I don’t know the correct cable size, but I can highly recommend EUREKA XXL products. Unlike thread, their wires look very realistic and can be easily formed to fit unlike the really springy stuff. HTH.

‘EUREKA XXL Metel Wire Rope’
Note: I am not affiliated with any companies.

—mike :hammer_and_wrench:

2 Likes

I made my first tow cable for my Sherman. I used copper wire (electronics wiring wire). I pulled the insulation off and twisted 3 strands together. As far as I can tell it’s a teeny bit too big in diameter, but we’re talking 0.1mm difference. The 3 strands look better than 2. I 3D resin printed free end connectors.

I would look to the nuts and the steel plate thickness to get a cable size. I would guess the cable is close to 3/4" - 1", whatever a standard cable diameter close that is, or about 19mm- 25mm/your scale.

1 Like

Agree with the quality of Eureka XXL cables, they are way better than any homemade attempt I have seen. Also their flexibility is excellent, allowing a realistic shape.

3 Likes

The Sd.Kfz 9 cable circumference is 30 mm according to Eureka XXL. But the coresponding reference is OOP…

From their website :

Set ER-3504 (Towing cable for German Sd.Kfz.9 FAMO) is withdrawn from production permanently and will not be available again.”

https://www.scalemates.com/fr/kits/eureka-xxl-er-3504-towing-cable-30mm-german-wwii–1242856

H.P.

2 Likes

The size of a cable is sometimes (often?, usually?) given as the circumference and not the diameter.
Maybe this has changed in modern times but a friend who spent a few months on cargo ships 50 years ago told a story about this. The deck hands asked the machinist to make and weld an eye for a cable/rope to a stanchion. What size asked the machinist. The deck crew answered 40 mm.
The machinist made an eye with 40+ mm diameter and the deck crew said that it was way too big.
They spoke circumference, the machinist spoke diameter …

This guy must be built like a gorillas nightmare and have fingers like bratwurst if that cable is 30 mm in diameter. A circumference of 30 mm would fit better with average fingers, 30 mm / pi = 9.55 mm.
Original photo

Compare cable to thickness of shoe sole

Same diameter or maybe thinner than the canvas bows.

Edit: See post by H.P. below.
Can’t resist one final comment: that guys wrist would be the same size as a normal mans thigh …

3 Likes

My bad Robin…I’ve edited my post accordingly :wink:

H.P.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for the very valuable input. The reason why I am looking at the AM cables i.e. Eureka, is because I plan on having a dude pulling on the cable towards a tank/truck. With the included twine from Tamiya, I cannot do that for obvious reasons. Speaking of Eureka, I can vouch for their quality as well. The absolute best.
Will keep you posted with what I have selected. Again, thank you all for your help. You guys are awesome! Loving this community.

Sebastian

2 Likes

I agree. The US Navy called (did/still does?) line/rope by circumference, which seems VERY counter-intuitive (to be polite). Big difference!

2 Likes