Setting dihedral

Excuse the noob question. I am building the ICM spitfire mkviii. I used to build aircraft a lot as a kid but this is my first serious crack at aircraft. From my reading the dihedral should be 6 degrees or approximately a 7/16” gap from belly to wing tip. I have also read cautionary notes about the ICM spitfires and the firewall/cockpit causing the fueslage to bulge and killing the dihedral. I think I have avoided this issue by careful test fitting of the IP/firewall and filing until I got a snug fit between wing root and upper wing without the fueslage pushing the wing down.

My question is how do you go about measuring and setting the dihedral while glue cures? The wings still have some flex and by moving them I can the dihedral anywhere between probably 2 and 8 degrees. I would like to set it to 6, somehow hold it there, and then glue it and allow it to dry.

Any tips would be appreciated

Build yourself a jig on graph paper to know or take a wag at it.

1 Like

What Tank_1812 writes.
Maybe the kit box contains usable cardboard that can be used to cut a sturdy jig from.

What would this jig look like? I am guessing, I want something to hold the belly level and then have risers at each wing tip that are 7/16” high?

You can use anything……cardboard, sheet styrene, bass wood, legos etc or combination of materials.

There is also jigs you can buy if that is easier.

Sounds good, but in terms of design? Does what I wrote above sound good? I just need something to hold the fueslage in place and then I want a riser of correct height, in this case 7/16” under each wing tip?

1 Like

You can make a capital T shape or lower cast t points, players choice.

1 Like

Thanks! Appreciate the advice

1 Like