Shermania 2024

Build, build, build… but finally I´m close to the painting stage. Upper and lower hull is not glued and will be painted separatly for better access to all the small details in the bogies. There are still details missing as for example hatches. These are very detailed and I will paint them off the vehicle to get the periscopes right. So far a challenging and enjoyable build of a vehicle I had not much knowledge about, but which has really grown on me.

11 Likes

Looks really nice. I started studying for my M51 builds (2 Tamiya kits, 1 Academy and 2 Dragon) but gave up because the more one researches the details the crazier it gets.

2 Likes

Too much knowledge is dangerous in the world of modelling :laughing:
I based mine on a few pictures of M51s from the Six Day War and of course help from you guys. As of now I´m pretty happy with how this is going. I like super detailing, but there is a limit for everything, at least with me. The original thought was to build OOB, but that went out the window seconds after the build started…

4 Likes

I count my IDF rivets to be honest, just cannot do a simple build on the subject. The research and finding the correct-time appropriate details is really rewarding, cannot give up on that.

:thinking: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Nothing wrong with that.

3 Likes

Some hasty photos of the primed M4A2 before painting starts

12 Likes

As I intend to make an IDF version M7 I had to do some adjustments, found a good walk around ( [Prime portal]
(M7 Priest (IDF) Walk Around Page 1) of one in an Israeli museum. Some extra bolts and nuts…

And I had to trim the front and rear fenders…

And had to move the front light upwards from their original spots.

Had to celar the rear deck and add some hand rails to the stowage bins…

10 Likes

Lovely detailing Bert :+1:

2 Likes

DSC01095
Added headlights, siren, periscope guards, and lift rings to the upper hull. Next will be the track guard braces.

6 Likes

Welp, I’m calling this done. I wasn’t keen on muddying up the vehicle to, what would be, winter conditions. I simply wanted it to look dusty from the hot Italian summer. I’m not sure if I achieved it this or not! But it does look like it’s been down some dusty roads.

IMG_2298 by Chris Wilson, on Flickr

IMG_2299 by Chris Wilson, on Flickr

IMG_2300 by Chris Wilson, on Flickr

IMG_2301 by Chris Wilson, on Flickr

IMG_2302 by Chris Wilson, on Flickr

16 Likes

very nice. I think you have achieved the look you were after, A bit dusty, but the detailing is not hidden away. Great job.

3 Likes

Looks good Chris. :+1::+1:

2 Likes

Your dust looks fantastic Chris! Not beaten up, but dirty. Great model.

3 Likes

Perhaps the tracks could use some polished metal effects but each to his own taste. Is there any kind of rigging left to be done? (I noticed that you are calling this done, that is why I am asking).

Totally agree, the dust is looking superb.

3 Likes

That’s turned out really nice. Great work.
I might’ve missed it in the posts, but who’s decals did you use? What Italeri include are uninspiring and NZ markings look good on it.

1 Like

@gtdeath13 Hi Nikos there is supplied rigging, though I’m only shown how to rig it with the booms extended and I haven’t found any pics of the rigging stowed yet. Hadn’t thought about the tracks showing polished/abraded metal but that would be sensible given that it’s driven around. I’ll investigate my options, I have some metal pigment from MIG that I’ve just started using that may just work. Thanks for the input! I rarely build armour so I’m am at best a total noob when it comes to weathering etc.

Chris

Okay found some pics of the stowed booms and what little rigging was in use. I’ll see what I can do to add it to the kit and make it look realistic, hopefully LOL.

2 Likes

@phantom_phanatic Hi Stephen would you believe they’re actually the decals supplied with the kit? I got the kit because the NZ markings were an option. They applied beautifully and there are very few to apply.

Chris

2 Likes

Ah, they must’ve updated the most recent boxing then. Honestly hadn’t noticed. I got the previous issue that had generic US stars and serials.
Thought it might’ve been from a Star/Bison decals sets.

1 Like

@phantom_phanatic Stephen I have several of the Bison sets for NZ armour subjects but didn’t notice any for the M32. But that may simply be that I wasn’t looking. It still has the generic stars and serials for other subjects. The Kiwi M32 is simply devoid of those markings making for a rather simple subject.

Chris

1 Like

You’re done? Already??

Looks good!

1 Like