Shermania 2024

I thought the only M4 big-hatch tanks were the M4(105mm) fire-support units? The rear plate was angled as per the A2, but was cut off flush with the bottom of the sponsons.

1 Like

I was talking about that M4, big hatch and 105 mm. Sometimes I write lesser words than what I think…sorry, aging.
I would like to build one M4 105 that Israel bought in Italy during Indipendence War but not in time to take part to the fightings.
They were in running conditions but gun tubes were literally drilled to dump them safety.
IDF had to rearm them, sometimes with 105 as per the original but mostly with 75 mm.
If the rear angle is common to M4 and M4A2 I can hope to use that Italeri as a base.
And now a step forward of my entry for this group:

Cheers

6 Likes

This thread (plus my recent work on building an M36) seems to have rekindled the “Sherman” flame in me. I currently have two M4’s and an M51 finished and the M36, the “Normandy” M4 and a Firefly all on the bench at the same time!

All Sunday was spent building six AFV Club Sherman boggies (12 parts each) and painting road wheels but at least now the M36 is standing on its’ own six feet!.

2 Likes

Got some new paint stands for my crew figures. And yes, they are fired from a proper M2 machine gun :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Well the M36 is not only up on its’ feet but now has its’ shoes (tracks) on as well!

Those are replacement Italeri Road Wheels and Idler so unlike the AFV wheels these have detail on BOTH sides!

While the suspension was drying I started a little gun work on the 90mm.

The AFV Club kit comes with a spring recoil on the 90mm gun.

7 Likes

Hi Micheal,
You just make me want to stick one of those turrets on a M4A3. Don’t refrain to build another to donate to some lazy modeller…:wink: :thinking: guess who?
Nice build, no jokes

3 Likes

So I did a mistake :rage: My references show I should have shaved off the inside «ring» around the periscope for the driver and co-drivers hatch. I normalt spot such things, but this one slipped. To late to fix it now with out destroying the hatches. I guess I have to put it on the live and learn account… :confounded:

11 Likes

We promise not to say anything and keep it a secret

What happens to your brain when you're keeping a secret | indy100 | indy100

7 Likes

Much appreciated :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

Now hold on just a New York minute!

The “hull” is NOT new tooling but a pick-up from their M-10. Which means it is a Diesel Sherman and not the correct engine deck for the M36’s gas GAA engine, Now the turret is all new tooling and is great by the way.

Then there is the little matter of no detailing on the back sides of the road wheels and the idler. Perhaps excusable on the road wheels but the back side of the idler is certainly visible.

I am sure everyone but me knew this already but live and learn.

(FYI - The Academy version offers BOTH engine decks so if you wish to model the post-war diesel M36 you have that choice.)

3 Likes

Current Status of M36:

I think any tank just does not take on its’ “Real” character until all the surface detail gets added(tools, etc.) I am holding off on that until the rear deck surgery is complete and the patient survives!

5 Likes

Unfortunately I knew, and this is what I did to model an M36 based tractor…

All the filler caps had to be relocated and also the emergency engine stopper and its cover should be adapted (the latter I did not and masked it with a shovel - cheating, I know).
The rear plate and engine doors should be reworked as well…

Cheers

9 Likes

So how did you shave off and then relocate the filler caps?

The old fillers were either cut off together with Diesel engine grills or sanded off. I replaced them with spares from my Sherman minutia box (a full drawer I should say). I followed ol good photo instruction by Terry Ashley on PMMS website (open but sadly no more updated).
Try to have a look at:
https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/afvclub/afv35s08.htm

1 Like

I’m not normally a Sherman lover, but this thread is quite inspiring, and giving me a new found liking for them, particularly those that survived and went on to have whole new “careers” post WWII.

I picked this up many years ago at a Euro Militaire show.

Imgur

It is basically a Tamiya M1 Super Sherman with the kit turret replaced by this one…

Imgur

… which looks like it came from a Hobby Boss EBR-10 or 11.

The weird thing is that the box lid, is from the Tamiya M1, but turned completely inside out!

I may give this a go in a few months, or use the turret on a more appropriate Hull for an Egyptian Six day war, welded hull Sherman, like this one:

Imgur

A friend has donated several sherman turrets so I could backdate the Best Value Models version to the M1.

Some research needed on all this!

6 Likes

For an Egyptian vehicle you need an A4 Sherman. I cannot recall if there were also A2 Shermans upgraded with the turret but I can look it up.

The French prototype (depicted on the box photo) was indeed on a cast hull.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen A2s, and I have a monograph from Wolfpack stating they are all A4. Funny though, Egyptians swapped them to Diesel engines, so now they had the small engine grills and the horizontal tube-like muffler under a unique cover.
Incidentally some ex-British Fireflies can be seen in the same time span in Lebanese hands with a similar Diesel “upgrade”. Must’ve been in vogue in the Middle East up to the Six Day War, supposedly!!

Hope it can help

5 Likes

DSC01123
Added another bracket and the side stowage bin to the M51. I find it too frustrating to do more than one bracket at a time.

6 Likes

Both responses very helpful so far!

Yes, I believe they were A4’s, but of you have any other details that show A2’s that would be interesting.

That monograph looks good, I need to find one of those!

I downloaded the Dragon instructions to work out what hull/engine deck they have used. They seem to give alternate parts for the egyptian version, step 5 showing this…

Imgur

but step 6 confuses things with this view of the deck…

Imgur

However step 14 seems to confirm what type of deck it should be …

Imgur

I’m no Sherman expert, so could someone confirm if the deck shown in steps 5 and 14 is correct?

Also, there seem to be additional/alternate parts for the rear of the hull.

Any further ideas help very much appreciated.

3 Likes

32621949_10155441885420592_7595408517742198784_n

157170277_799270290678774_3563733500069867772_n

156998609_434804140928683_1757881870387506078_n

There is a M4FL10 in the Museum in Cairo, you might find some really good photos of it

5 Likes