Special Armour VW Pickup Vignette

@creading thanks Charles, I don’t know if you remember but you sent me some dio stuff many moons ago on the old site, maybe early 2000’s? One item in particular I hadn’t seen until that day, it helped push me to find more natural stuff in scale and eventually lead to me creating Armorfarm.

@Micke_MM thanks Mikael, I figure if I’m gonna post, I might as well do it step by step!

@Dioramartin Hmm, that’s a good question Tim. I’ve never tried plaster simply because that is never left behind on site, they mix more than they need and toss the extra
stuff after it hardens but there is never any opened, half empty bags left when they leave.

Plaster is probably heavier, it’s more dense and dries rock hard and is pretty much impervious to water once cured. When applying to a wall, you keep troweling (or burning) as it dries to polish it to a glass like surface. It’s rock hard, yet brittle.

Joint compound is ‘fluffier’ for lack of a better word, it holds more air (especially of you use a mixer and add water to help it spread easier), even once dry you can pick at it, carve it and of course, sand it to a smooth finish.

The bulk of the base is insulation foam so overall it’s still light as a feather.

1 Like

Here’s where I left off last time.

My first step is to apply some small grass using seaweed balls. I brush on some thinned PVA glue and sprinkle some fibres into the glue, tip upside down and shake off the excess. I may repeat this two or three times.

No need for a static charge shaker thing to get some upright standing blades, it all does it on its own.

Next is some taller grasses in small clumps. Two or three together in the tweezers and dipped in straight PVA glue.

My next step is to add some smaller weeds. Same steps, same method, same idea.

Another side view showing the size and height of these small ‘weeds’.

Next will be small ‘bushes’ and then some taller ‘grasses’, all done in exactly the same manner; cut to size, dip in glue, place on base.

Once this is done, I will go back and add more of each item within these small areas of growth, to fill them in and make them look more natural and hide any spacing, or obvious layout placement. I want these to look like they are all competing for the same piece of ground, the same sunlight. Just like in real life.

I’ll look this over for a few days and tweak any areas I think need to be addressed. Then, it’s prime and paint.

3 Likes

I had seaweed balls once - a hot shower cured me of it…
Seriously Ken, your groundwork is simply stunning, with such simple items. It’s your effort and attention to detail that make the scene. It all looks fantastic already, without the paint!

1 Like

:rofl:

Thanks so much Matt.

If this was a fall/winter scene I’d probably paint the road first before applying all this and then leave everything in it’s natural color.

1 Like

Ha! Now that you mention it, I do remember sending stuff out. I think it was the ‘leaf’ material I was using and only two guys ask if I could send some. You must have been one of them! Glad to see that it helped!
Cheers,
C.

Thanks for showing it looks fantastic and I look forward to the painting / Micke

1 Like

Beautiful job so far

1 Like

@Micke_MM @metalhead85 - Micke, Richard thanks!

@creading Charles If memory serves me right it was actually this:

I think when I asked you where it came from you said it was something like the bristles from a decorative broom from a craft store?

Of course, it was a very long time ago so I could be way off.

I ended up finding that it’s the flowering ends to those large decorative landscape grasses found in lawn gardens and/or restaurant gardens.

1 Like

Ken,

You’re right. Those were reeds from some ‘doll’ sized brooms I found at a craft store. I still have a shoebox full of them!
I used them in my ‘Shallow Grave’ diorama.

I think I’ve used them to some degree in almost every diorama since that requires ‘landscaping’

Cheers,
C.

1 Like

Superbe tutorial