Special Forces Figure Campaign Idea

The link list is pretty much current SOF units, nothing from Vietnam, or WWII era units, not to mention many Cold War or African Bush War units that should qualify.

@Stikpusher i am planning to do something from SOG perspective so if the unit you are looking for is not in that list, then it would be up tot he individual to provide evidence to justify their entry…how does that sound?

Klaus

2 Likes

Sounds good, but if we focus on the list maybe call the campaign “Modern Special Forces” ?

@SGTJKJ actually i was going to use the name Smooth Operators" as the campaign name as it covers all and suggests at the modern end of the SF spectrum.

2 Likes

Well, I was thinking about doing a WWII British Commando figure, if I join up. I imagine that should qualify.

Ok, this will be my first campaign, and I have plenty to choose from. Put me down as a starter…

Smooth operators would definitely work as a name.

Would Vietnamese Rangers qualify? I am still not sure how we would include previous special forces. If not, no problem, I will find something else.

@SGTJKJ @Stikpusher as I said in a previous post if you find and show evidence/information to back up your claim that the figure you plan to build is from the special forces community then great.

I plan to someone from MACV SOG and a lot of those guys were green berets.

1 Like

Going by an excerpt from the above link, no. Although Rangers (and SEALs and MARSOC for that matter) fall under SOCOM, they are not considered Special Forces in the US. Anyone in the SOCOM community will tell you the US only has one Special Forces, and it Army Special Forces. Yes, they’re all high speed low drag, but the qualifier is that which I’ve highlighted below:

Operations requiring unique modes of employment, tactical techniques, equipment and training often conducted in hostile, denied, or politically sensitive environments and characterized by one or more of the following: time sensitive, clandestine, low visibility, conducted with and/or through indigenous forces, requiring regional expertise, and/or a high degree of risk.

I might add requiring knowledge of local language and customs, although for a time we seemed to get away from that.

Personally I wouldn’t care whom you include, although as a simple exercise in semantics you might change the title to Special Operations Forces. Then you can include most of those that have been mentioned. That said, I would rule out SWAT.

2 Likes

@18bravo I like that idea of “Special Operations Forces” it does give a little more lee-way. I think I will incorporate it as part of the Campaign.

It seems if seals and Marsoc aren’t included then maybe the campaign description should be “only US Army green berets”? Otherwise it can be interpreted to mean “special forces” are not conventional troops but also trained to a higher standard.

I did not say they should not be included. In fact, just the opposite. If I need to I’ll state it differently - I’d like to to see it as inclusive as possible. They would not qualify under the title as it stood, going by that definition. Let’s not read things into my statement that aren’t there.

1 Like

@18bravo sorry mate, I’m not trying to stand on anyone.

I think this is gonna end up like the Tank Destroyers campaign where everyone wants to build their choice. So I’m gonna list this on the Staging Area at then of the week once I have clarification in my mind as how I want to proceed.
those that want to play can take part those that don’t want play can sit this one out.

2 Likes

OK, so no Sci-Fi SOF figures.

Would you accept fictional SOFs, such as a female figure wearing an Ops Core FAST helmet and carrying a carbine and tactical vest (a kitbash) and not belonging to any real SOF unit, but labeled as SOF? Or would you prefer real model figures representing real SOF Operatives? Thanks.

@Trisaw

Real units only, thanks.

@Trisaw

Real units only, thanks.

Got it. Thanks.

Intended to be air-dropped (which didn’t work out so well initially) they initially relied for ground transport on the LRDG, whose members had many of the characteristics of later SF units and whose primary mission (covert reconnaissance and surveillance) is a staple of modern SF. The LRDG was capable of direct offensive action when required but it’s heavily-armed vehicles were purposed for fighting their way out of inadvertent contacts. Popski’s Private Army were originally intended for covert demolition missions (which they did, and perhaps more importantly were adroit at counter-demolition operations - seizing objectives ahead of advances and neutralizing preparations for their destruction) but also evolved into an even more irregular version of the SAS. At the end of the war in Italy they loaded some of their Jeeps into their supporting Royal Engineers RCLs (“Popski’s Private Navy”) to perform a victory lap of St. Mark’s Square in Venice…

Regards,

M

@Trisaw sorry if I sounded crabbit (Scottish word for grumpy) it was the end of another 75 hour week plus I had baby sitting duties looking after a new employee as well.

Klaus, no problem.

However, there are a lot of “gray areas” when it comes to Special Operations Forces. Can a civilian figure kit with an added carbine be called plainclothes SOFs a la Delta Force or British SAS in disguise? Or would you actually prefer kits that actually are labeled SOFs for this Campaign?

they need to be in military garb. a figure in jeans in and t-shirt holding an ak47 isn’t really representative on a visual level.