Special Hobby - 1:48 Tempest Mk.II

Hi there

I’ve been itching to tackle this ever since the co-production between Special Hobby and Eduard was announced - see the review here: Hawker Tempest Mk.II ‘Hi-Tech’ | AeroScale

I’ll be building it alongside Special Hobby’s new 1:32 Whirlwind - but this one’s also in honour of Steffen Arndt, so 1:48 will obviously take priority in any clash over space on the workbench! :wink:

All the best

Rowan :beer:

6 Likes

Thanks Rowan - now you have dangled
another “ gotta have it “ carrot in front of me - just when the stash was actually decreasing by a kit or two .

3 Likes

Just read the review Rowan, looks like a must-have as Richard said. Looking forward to your build updates coming through.

Cheers, D

2 Likes

Hi Rowan, I’ll be very interested in seeing your build, as just this past week, I received my own copy of this kit! I’m a huge fan of both Eduard and the Tempest, so I could not pass up an opportunity to acquire this airplane. Since it is mostly Eduard parts, and because I’ve already built and Eduard Tempest Mk. V Series 2, I expect that this plane will go together with ease and close to perfect fit, but I’ll be thrilled to see what your impressions are!

1 Like

Hi Curt

As far as I can tell from the test fit, this should go together like a dream! The only point to watch out for which I spotted was as I described in the review - the alternative resin engine front (for want of a better description) has a shortened crankcase. Instead of using it, I’ll make a very simple change to the resin engine side section to allow the original plastic part to sit at the correct depth.

I hope to get started on the kit this week, but I’m juggling three competing things in my spare time at the moment - catching up on other reviews, learning guitar parts for the band I’m in and, finally, finding some time for actual modelling! :wink:

All the best

1 Like

Looking forward to this one Merlin. I hear you on being busy with other things. Right now my “to-do” list is off the paper.

Hi Joseph

I know the feeling! Things have been a bit crazy lately - basically, all my spare time has been devoted to music for the first time in :shushing_face:-years :laughing: - but I think I can see light at the end of that particular tunnel and things easing as the group finds its feet, so I hope to get back to my workbench soon-ish. :wink:

All the best

1 Like

LOL!!! Most of my time is spent on my “other hobby” as well. I’m a hot rodder by nature and would try to make a dang washing machine go fast if I could. lol

Will be watchin’ this one when you get back to it.

2 Likes

Hi Joseph

I think you’ve set yourself a challenge there! :wink: A washing machine on wheels would certainly turn a few heads! :slight_smile:

After concentrating on music recently, I think I deserve a few hours at the workbench tomorrow, so I’ll try to get the Tempest underway.

All the best

3 Likes

Looking forward to the results of that bench session Rowan!

Hi Joseph

I fear it was a non-starter - I worked on a few reviews instead. There are a bunch more that I still need to do, but I’ll get back to the work bench one of these days! :wink:

All the best

1 Like

No, you won’t! I fear your best option will be to box up a couple of these review kits and forward them to me. I will (reluctantly) look after them for you, and remove the stress of having too many kits lined up, as I know the toll that this can take on your mental health!

You’re welcome :innocent:

Cheers, D

Hi Damian

I think the real plus to come out of the Covid crisis on a personal level was how much I enjoyed having time for modelling and music every day during part-furlough - and the realisation that retirement’s not too far off now! It was a really healthy work/life balance, and a chance to recharge the batteries a bit after years without a proper break. I’m sure I’ll carry on as a volunteer at Oxfam, but I’m really looking forward to tackling some of the big modelling projects that I’ve never even started through lack of time. :wink:

All the best

1 Like

Hi again

Right - come hell or high water - I’m going to spend a bit of time on this kit tomorrow! :slight_smile: I’ll have the Austrian F1 GP on the radio (so I can’t get distracted by watching :wink: ) - and I think I deserve a break from working out old R&B tracks on guitar! :wink:

I haven’t played guitar this much in probably 30 years - and, don’t get me wrong, it’s an absolute blast playing in a band again (if for no other reason than it’s a chance to get out do something that we’d have taken for granted for granted before Covid-19 and lockdowns)! But… the workbench beckons… I hear its siren call desperately adding harmony vocals on the songs we’re working on! :laughing:

All the best

2 Likes

Let’s get cracking then Rowan … don’t stop till you get enough ! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Hi Richard

Well, I nearly got off to a false start! I’d begun preparing some of the parts a few weeks ago and put them in a proverbial “safe place”. You’ve guessed it - I couldn’t find them again this morning when I went to pick up where I’d left off. :roll_eyes: After an increasingly worried hunt, they finally turned up in a “safe, but completely illogical place” - packed away in the box for a completely different kit! I’ll never learn! :wink:

All the best

Hi Rowan,

I JUST was over on the AeroScale site, and I was surprised and thrilled to see an announcement that Eduard, in August, is planning to release their OWN Tempest Mk. II model! I don’t suppose that this should be a surprise, but in fact, it kind of is, to me, given that Eduard and Special Hobby obviously had an agreement to allow S.H. to release a Mk. II. I wouldn’t have thought to see an immediately competing kit coming from Eduard so soon. Did you have an inkling that this was coming?

Hi Curt

Yes, Eduard agreed for Special Hobby to release their boxing first, but I predicted in my review that it wouldn’t be long before ProfiPACK and Weekend Edition kits appeared in the Eduard line-up too. Eduard’s forthcoming ProfiPACK kit should have more photo-etched details included - instrument panels and consoles etc. - but don’t expect it to have the exposed engine insert that Special Hobby have added.

I’ve finally had a chance to get back underway and worked on one of the wheel wells this morning:

It’s partly dry-fitted at the moment to make painting easier, and there are still a couple of mould lines I need to remove, but at least it’s progress at last. I’ll crack on with the other well this afternoon. :slight_smile:

All the best

4 Likes

Rowan,

Thanks for the quick response. I should have read your review of the Special Hobby kit closer…but my memory is truly so terrible that I’d likely not have remembered you providing the Eduard info anyway. But it is good to know that there is something that the S.H. kit has that the Eduard likely won’t. Up until now, I was planning on building the S.H. kit in a closed panel fashion, but now knowing that I can get an Eduard version, I’ll probably expose the engine in my S.H. build. Thanks for your comments…and glad to see you starting to work on the Tempest II! I look forward to seeing how this thing turns out…no doubt amazing, given that you’re building it!

1 Like

Hi Curt

Many thanks for your kind words and vote of confidence. I’ll do my best to make a decent job of it. :slight_smile:

I’ll use the exposed engine insert, but combine it with the standard kit parts for the engine front to avoid the overly shallow look of the resin replacement. It should work fine in theory… Whatever the outcome, I’ll document the mod so everyone can judge whether it’s a success.

All the best