Spitfire!

That looks very nice … Colours look fantastic all over :+1:

Great finish and the colours do look pretty good to me.

Looks the part for me, too! Good job! :+1:

Thanks everyone. This inexpensive little kit built up a whole lot better than I expected.

1 Like

DSC01168
DSC01174
Sanded a raised pin mark from the rear flap of the radiator. Put coats of Flat White on parts. Removed the Chrome Silver from the wing bottom and will replace it with Flat Aluminum. I hate painting White.

8 Likes

DSC01176
More white. I painted the wrong landing gear last time so another few coats of white for that. I think the wing has had enough though.

2 Likes

It’s still a gorgeous Spit none the less, I don’t get great pics from my cell (camera) either but it serves the purpose.

Cajun :crocodile:

1 Like

Done!

Quite happy with it all things considered. It was a good trial run for a 1/48 in-flight diorama I’m planning.

Ended up skipping the roundel on the base because the dimensions weren’t perfect. Putting an insignia on it would have highlighted that. Also cutting it close on time!

Thanks @michaelsatin for a great campaign.

17 Likes

Very nice build! :ok_hand:

1 Like

Certainly a great build and a brilliant way to display it.

cheers
Michael

1 Like

Painting is pretty much over as far as I am concerned. I did the camo mostly freehand even though I realize they usually used masks in-factory for a harder line. I was trying to replicate the rough line on the box art so I did go back and touch-up here and there but once I get the markings on and sealed the weathering and such should bring it together.

So now I’m getting ready for decals. I have done a round of touch-ups and tried to fix a couple of issues but it passes my three-foot test and as long as none of you lot show up no one will be the wiser. This is not based on any specific aircraft; the squadron markings seem to be generic as described by Revell. I decided to blend the two schemes available so I went with the camo scheme for option A and the clipped wings and markings of option B. Most likely inaccurate as all Hell but again my wife and her friends will never know.

12 Likes

Awesome job! Really like that slight weathering on it.

One question, why is the underside painted half black and half white? And the tail underside silver? I have no knowledge on Spitfires, so I’m just curious. :laughing:

You may have explained this already and I missed it, so if I did, sorry!

1 Like

Looking good @brekinapez!

I’m no historian but I read that it was for ground gunners to identify friendly aircraft. Sometimes it was just the wings split black/white, sometimes it was the whole underside and tailplanes.

As I understand, it was phased out just before or during the Battle of Britain because it actually made it easier for the Germans to spot you!

4 Likes

DSC01192
DSC01191
Radiator for my Spitfire Mk. Ia.

3 Likes

DSC01201
Finally painted the other half of the wing underside.

Removed the mask and it seems I was off by 1/16". Will remask and paint Flat Black again. In bad news, I used the Black Panel Line Accent on the White half. Looks very dirty now. The brush is too big. I think a pin or toothpick is needed. Will put another coat of white on.

7 Likes

Decals on now, very bright at the moment but I will seal and put a light filter on and add the rest of the bits.

cheers
Michael

12 Likes

Good job Michael looks great.
Coming along nicely Gary. Like the black and white lowers.

Pete

Michael this looks fantastic. Really like the faded colors.

@noddy927 @Spitfire thanks guys for the comments. I will take the “faded colors” as a compliment but that wasn’t my intent :grinning:

cheers
MIchael

2 Likes

Hey, accidental genius is still genius! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes