Started weathering cars again

Mike, that’s a very good point. I wonder if Floquil’s Grimy Black and Tarnished Black were formulated with some degree of “scale effect” even back before that concept was discovered and brought to conscious thought by the military modeling community?

Looking through locomotive books especially at Builder portraits, I noticed that the boilers almost always are lighter in tone then the smoke boxes and the cab. The Smoke Box I chalk up to being painted with that mixture of graphite instead of being smooth, where’s the cab, they are flat sides instead of rounded. But in black and white photos I sometimes wondered if the boiler is not painted or was not Russia iron? Even in some color photography though you can see that the black on the round structures takes on a different tone tgan vertical components.

Decades ago in one of the railroad magazines a modeler wrote about spraying his steam locomotives with a very thin clear coat tinted blue. He brought up that in vintage color photos and also working around restored and well kept locomotives, that black will reflect the blue of a clear sky. I think I read that sometime before 2002. 2002 I was on the Frisco 1522 farewell excursion, and shot some photos of her under a nice blue sky. When I got the photos back, it looked like the upper third of the rounded boiler had been painted a bright deep blue.

With black locomotives trying to mimic High noon, I think this is one case where pre-shading is an appropriate technique.

FYI - Often with the more polished Builder’s Photographs the locomotive was actually painted a lighter shade of gray to better show the detail. After the photo session it went right back to the paint shop.

I had a book of original Builder’s 8x10 photographs that illustrate this paint treatment. Unfortunately I just sold that volume just last month.

p.s. Also the locomotive shops often had a large painted white wall built at a certain angle to the sun that served as a clean backdrop behind the locomotive to be photographs. (Saves a WHOLE lot of time and money paying a retouch artist to paint out the background on the 4x5 or 8x10 negatives.)

ea96251e9ef250ed8809e4d8d08e7592

One Builder’s Photo I did scan from the book is this USATC S-160 2-8-0.

Looks like perhaps the paint shop might have had a washable gray paint. Spray the finished loco with that (would not affect the white lettering) then wash it off afterwards.

While Lima appears to have not built a large white background wall for photography, they seem to have had at least a partial white fence to ease the challenge to the retouch artist to “opaque out” the background elements on the large format negative.

(Believe me, as I have had to do this in working with other types of industrial machinery photos. Later we had Amber-Lith and Ruby-Lith that made it much easier to create background drop-out masks for printing in books and catalogs.)