Static Engine builds

I recall that the Proto 1000 locomotives, when they first came out, we’re considered very good+ in terms of detailing. I do not recall the difference between Proto 1000 Proto 2000, although I think it had to do, for the locomotives, with the electronics inside. I recall they had a lot of separately applied detail parts and generally highly acclaimed profiles and molded-on detail. They came out in the mid-90s if I recall. I think that they, along with Stewart, and Kato HO, had a lot to do with nudging Athearn and Atlas out of there complacency.

I don’t remember if it was groundbreaking at the time but my early Proto 1000 engines had that flexible abs plastic for the railings instead of wire and stamped metal. A couple of years ago I snared a Proto Geep I was sold with several packages of new axles and flywheels. The seller told me with the early Protos, a big complaint was the flywheels or maybe the axle mount would tend to wear out fast.

1 Like

I would like the thin plastic rails but I guess they don’t fit Athearn Blue Box trains? I saw these GP35 rails by Athearn but it was noted that they DO NO FIT Blue Box kits. It’s a shame as I have a Blue Box GP35 and need handrails. I have stanchions and was considering buying the right gauge wire and bending my own handrails.

John,
while I had to learn how to solder to do the wiring on my layout, it usually flowed ok, but I always seemed to use to much, so soldering the hand rails would have been a disaster for sure. I’m certainly in your camp of using CCA glue as it’s much more controllable with little chance of damage to the rails or the body of the engine.

Love that picture of the GP-39-2 and the GP-30-2. Now the scheme make more sense to me.

I wanted to have the engine power on my layout CSX GP38-2 or GP40-2, and only needing 3 engines I never thought that finding new Atlas Gold series engines would be a major under taking, but it was. Never did find them as almost everything model railroading these days is either sold out/out of stock, or Pre-order. So I ended up going with U36Bs. I only bought two engines from TrainWorld to date, but the 3rd one will be purchased shortly. Here’s a pic of each one. One is in the All Blue with White roof, and the other in the traditional Blue/Gray scheme.
Recently TrainWorld listed the Atlas Gold GP-40 as a pre-order. I was going to order 2 of them but when I saw the est date of arrival, I didn’t bother. May 2024!!

joel

2 Likes

Joel-I like your CSX U Boat in the gray scheme. I have 2 GE U Boats done and 2 more in the stash, a U-28B and a U-33B. I had originally years ago looked at the Atlas Gold series but I can’t find any made as “dummies” and the $200 price is not in my budget. My only hope would be a non running wreck someone would sell on E Bay for"scrap prices" LOL. Until then I am still working with Athearn Blue Box. I can solder to a certain extent. I do have a soldering gun but there is no real use for me to use it when I can use CCA glue and save a melted disaster and my sanity. I have zero interest in making my 70 year old life any harder than it needs to be, I retired from that years ago.

John,
My U boats are fantastic running engines. I’d dare say that they’re the equal of the Athearn Genisis engines. They’re the perfect yard goats and local switchers that I need. Like I said, 3 is all that my layout Ops needs.
Since the U boats are the same exact size as the GP40/40-2, the chassis, motor, and DCC Loksound decoders should be the same.
joel

The hand rails are all installed. On to the ditch lights and snow plows.

1 Like

Have you ever replaced the fans with see through ones? The change is dramatic.

Absolutely zero interest. Have seen them but they do nothing for me, I build for me so if it looks cool and is worth the hassle I do it, if it’s not awe inspiring or earth shaking…meh.

John,
The over head shot of the rails do indeed look very, very good.
Just a suggestion for the stock fans. Have you tried a panel line wash like from Tamiya? It would give you the depth and shadows as if they were see through.
joel

No comment

John,
I’m retired and not in the best of health, and neither is my wife. And like you, I’ve got more then one hobby; plastic models. For 35 years I’ve wanted to be more then a armchair MRR’er, and now that I have the time, the space, and most of the funds, it’s my other hobby.

I use to belong to the local IPMS chapter, but stopped that years ago as work made making meetings a no go. And now that I’m retired, my failing vision prevents me from driving at night, snow, rain, or non local trips. And like you, no one sees any of my models other then posting them on the two sites I’m a member of. I’ve been here on KM for more then 25 years or so. I build for myself to my own standards. One build may be detailed, and then several OOB. As long as I’m satisfied with the end results, that’s what counts. Sharing them with you guys is a plus, and a great way to make friends. So just build to your own standards, and enjoy your hobbies and interests while you can.
joel

4 Likes

CP GP-35’s were pretty much stock. If you go to Railroad Picture Archives, http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/, and search for CP 5002-5025 there are a multitude of pictures. Detail differences are in small items like lights and horns. Canadian units also had ditch lights much earlier. The pilot plow on the CP units is unique to the CP. Back in the 80’s I molded these using low temp melt plastic beads in a RTV mold. In cleaning up my shop this past weekend I came across one of these castings. If you are interested PM me your address and I’ll send it to you.

Tim