Suggestion for a new category

It occurred to me that there isn’t a category dedicated to dio building; both land scaping, as well as sea-scaping (for model ships,etc.). To be sure, there is the occasional tip on dio’s in the Armor Category, but it’s usually an aside to the models. What I’m suggesting is a how-to from basic scenery, to foam carving, and tree-making.

7 Likes

Sensible proposal… I’ll second it :+1:

3 Likes

I concur; we definitely need a dioramic category. with how-to tutorials on scenics, how to build using foam, plaster, laser-cut wood, etc…

i know that a lot has changed from the earlier era of diorama building, With 3D printing and laser cutting bringing higher level of detail to materials used for creating complex scenery; it would be great to expand it all for newer modelers to get into it, and for seasoned modelers to learn new tricks.

:+1:

3 Likes

I forgot to mention that there are scenicking tips in the Model Railroad category. Some of it is useable, and adaptable to 1/35, as well as 1/72; and some of it isn’t…bottle brush pine trees don’t cut it in larger scales. :wink:
:smiley: :canada:

1 Like

HO spikes make great shirt buttons in 1:35 :grin:

1 Like

I’m not sure about creating a new Dio category, that would mean in future looking in two places for what’ll likely be much duplicated information. It would also cause uncertainty among posters about which one to put their project or questions in, with inevitable crossfire when posted in the “wrong” one.

I was never sure why the existing Dioramas category has been a sub-forum of Armor/AFV. Wouldn’t it be better to lift it out of there and make it a main forum? As has been said, dioramas cover the entire range of model-making. If it was made a main forum, I guess there could be a dedicated how-to sub-forum but the issues above may still crop up.

Thus far Dioramas has coped OK with a mixture of projects and how-to threads. As somebody once said “How shall we separate the dancer from the dance?” :thinking:

1 Like

You could always go to U-Tube for diorama, and scratch-building (plenty there!), but that would take away from this site!
:smiley: :canada:

Alright, don’t make a scene…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::wink:

2 Likes

But sewing them on is challenging. :no_mouth:

1 Like

Be thankful for small mercies, I could’ve developed that metaphor much further…starting with Waltz Tango Foxtrot?

Haha, that’s when I call Lydia Ricci

2 Likes

Sure likes her hot glue, eh?

1 Like

… and CA :grin:

1 Like

Not gonna lie, but I used to belong to a site where a guy submitted a build for approval that I could not decide was the brave attempt of someone with a disability or a troll trying to be a smartass. Fingerprints on windshields and hairs/dust stuck all over the paint. Gaps in body panels. A study in how not to build a kit. Easily worth $1200 by her standards.

1 Like

THAT’S $800 USD?

Are batteries included?

2 Likes

I would have no problem with the new category.

2 Likes