Cool, thanks. I will be keeping it fenderless.
On my NVA T-34/85 I’ve made little progress. Managed to get some rear fuel drum holders and started work on the rear fuel drums. One thing I don’t like about the dragon drums is they never align very well. Lots of sanding and filling, I always also shave off the straps and make my own out of scrap brass from left over etch sprues.
While I was working out the fuel drum situation on the Dragon kit, I started work on the Academy T-34/85. I gotta say I rather like the way the did things. Though they over did it on the cast marks. Hull sides and suspension went together real easy, and link and length track made for a quick job. The front idler arm hole is notched so I fits in one position, no Dragon-esqe fooling around with that part trying to get it into the right spot.
One thing that’s good/bad is the running gear fits on nice and loose. Maybe a bit too loose, as if I move it just about any way, the tracks/wheels come right off. Convinient for painting, but annoying if it’s just sitting there and I need to move it.
Some work on the front end. Cleaning up the tow rope ends was quick. The way they worked out the MG/mount is great and easier than the way Dragon goes about it. There’s this odd raised part where the hull and the joining piece meet, that’s smooth. That’s supposed to be a weld… Guess I’ll take a razor and some glue to it to make it look the part. Also wired up my light and horn.
Gotta say I really liked the way the hull halves join. The sponsons/fenders are molded to the lower hull. Makes for a cleaner look. The instructions didn’t mention it, but you gotta drill holes for the the fuel drum holders. So I didn’t do it, and only noticed when I went to mount the fuel drum holders and saw they had locating nubs. And right after I had already glued the two halves… every time…
Added brass grab handles, swapped the kit string for wire tow ropes, front fenders go on real easy and the two towing shackles on the front left of the hull feel a bit too small and flat but I let it slide. One thing that is missing there is the part that holds the shackles down, which I added a spare but it’s a bit blurry in the picture.
The kit engine grille is nice but I don’t if it was just me, but it kept lifting up after getting glued down. Had to go back a second or third time to get it to say. The fuel drums were really nice and easy to work with. Lined up nice and only need minimal sanding, the holder is one part (a bit fragile) and is a lot nicer than the multi part Dragon affair. There is a noticeable gap around the inside of the drums, so a bit of filler was used, scraped off the molded on handles and used some spare PE ones. And as is my custom now, scraped off the molded on tie downs and replaced them.
Then on to the turret, what can I say about it. It’s pretty simple and goes together real quick. No need to glue on parts for the turret cheeks like on the Dragon kit, but the turrets are slightly different. Though I did try to tone down the cast marks by sanding it a bit and using some Mr.Surfacer 500 to fill in some of the dips, but I think the effect was minimal and I just let it go. I also toned down the “casting seam” between the two turret halves, looked more like weld seam to me.
Here’s where it stands, mostly done. I want to try and make my own rolled up tarp on the rear of the turret, so I’ll finish this one up a bit later.
And while I was at it, I picked this up to source the fuel drum holders. Though I do have plans for this kit. I’m thinking either a T-34/85M (not the post war builds, the prototype with a different rear end with two large internal fuel tanks) or the Kontruckta T-34-100 variant 1 as seen in World of Tanks.
And while I was in the shop, this caught my eye and was the right price…
And while searching for something, I found these two oldies in the stash
Want to build one as is, improving what I can. The second one also improved including the left over turret from the ICM kit. Oh yeah, the parts are there for a complete turret.
MMMMMMMMMMM, D10T on my T-34…