Tamiya 1/12 Porsche 910

It was supposed to arrive Monday cost 73 quid in customs charges then they wanted 12 quid to deliver it today, I didn’t pay it but it still arrived today.

I’m sooo excited.

3 Likes

Very nice pick-up Ken, there’s a whole lot of fun in that box for sure! It will be very interesting to see how the moulds have fared through the years, that is a 2010 boxing from 1968 moulds.

Cheers, D

Made a start on this primed the main body and glued the main part of the engine together, added some 1/24 scale kits for size ref.

2 Likes

Start on painting the engine.

3 Likes

Ken,
I’ve always wanted this kit, but just never found one when I wanted it. This is going to be one great build for sure, so I’ll be following along real closely.

The start of the engine looks excellent. I’m not use to seeing the bell housing painted a brownish color as most have always been Gloss Red, but not on the 910.

joel

Got the white on next is masking up for the blue, also got some of the engine and gearbox done.

2 Likes

I wasn’t happy with the scale of the kit supplied fuel lines (nearly double the size they should have been at just over 1mm (the actual lines are a tad over 6mm)

The only photo ref I have atm is this

I know they are metal in the pic but back then they were clear nylon because they were lighter than metal ones but when they added more ethanol to modern fuel they started to fail (the nylon ones that is) and so modern cars have metal, anyway I’ve gone of subject metal ones is the only ref I have atm and the nylon ones were a tad smaller so the kit ones are definitely over scale.

I stretched the kit ones which made them thinner.

I’ve done some weathering on the engine as well and added a few ancillary parts.

1 Like

Ken,
That’s one very impressive build and weathering of the engine.
joel

Thanks Joel
OK so a little bit of added detail (and it is little)

Take a piece of solder and flatten it.

Cut into 7mm lengths paint the tip satin black put a couple of bends in it, repeat 12 times and you have sparkplug retaining clips.

Take some heat shrink tubing cut into 2mm lengths

Add to end of plug leads and you have plug caps

2 Likes

Ken,
Interesting technique that works well in 1/12 scale, but not so sure I could make it work in 1/24 scale.

One favor I’ve been meaning to ask you. All your pictures are in the portrait mode and therefore don’t show up correctly when uploaded to the site. Could you switch your format to Landscape which should correct your pictures orientation?

Thanks
joel

This is moving along nicely Ken, great added detail on the engine and a nice smooth first colour on the body.

Cheers, D

Hi all more done on this.

3 Likes

Dang it Ken!! This is looking great so far pal.

Ken,
That’s some nice detailing of the electrics as well as the engine ignitions and fuel injection. Even better when one factors in the basically useless arm unless you’re standing up and over your bench. Still sounds painful to me.

joel

Thanks Joel
I’ve sanded down the bleed through and Resprayed the white, you can still the blue through it, unsure whether to give it another coat since I’m going to spray the bule again in the same place.

2 Likes

Ken,
Hope that your arm is healing.

I don’t really see any bleed through of the blue paint, and since you’re going to be spraying the same areas blue once again, I wouldn’t bother with another coat of the white primer.

joel

Bit more work on this one.

2 Likes

Ken,
The 910 is really starting to take proper shape. those added details just pop everywhere. By any chance does your shop have a 910 in right now?

joel

Unfortunately no and we will never see number 21 again, im so sad about that as its my favourite porsche of all

Ken,
At least you got to see it and most likely seat in it. So you’re way ahead of the game.

joel