Tamiya 1/12 Porsche 910

OK so second attempt at the spray job and I’m quite pleased with how it turned out.

A vast improvement on this.

3 Likes

Yes indeed, quite an improvement Ken! Very neat work on the masking second time around.

Cheers, D

Ken,
An absolutely huge improvement by far. Looks fantastic.

joel

You wouldn’t believe how hard the suspension on this is and don’t get me started on the connection of the wheels to the drive shafts.

I’ve started scratching the slide throttle linkage for it, the guys at work hate this system, there is a plate with 3 holes in it the size if the venturi of the flutes that runs on bearings and slides forwards and backwards to enlarge or reduce the air fuel ratio by sliding the hole thus reducing or enlarging the venturi, it’s prone to leaks and not a great system.

This car had other throttle linkage systems which were better but the one depicted in the kit is this one so (as it’s the car I’ve worked on it’s the one I will try to depict)

Ken,
That throttle linkage system sounds like a true nightmare to both build, and in the the real world maintain in proper working condition let alone in race conditions.

Please post some pictures of it when you have a chance.

joel

joel

OK some pics of progress so far, I really don’t like the tamiya idea of doing the suspension, it’s s=€t took ages to do and is very fragile (must be why they give you one extra of each suspension part)

I generally like tamiya kits but not a fan of this one for design of assembly luckily I didn’t do the suspension in the order tamiya suggest as it would have been even harder to accomplish done in the way the instructions suggest.

2 Likes

Ken,
I’d say that you really nailed that duel throttle assembly. It’s hard to believe that Porsche would use such a design especially in a race car where throttle management and control was a high priority.

Nice job on the hand lettering of the tires just like in real life.

I’ve built more then my fair share of Tamiya race cars, and the rear suspensions were almost always designed for both ease of assembly, accuracy, and strength. Was was the issue that you encountered?

joel

1 Like

They would have you glue the top of the shocks in the car and in the next stage have you assemble the rest of the suspension off the car then feed the stabiliser bar through the hole in the wheel arch at the same time as adding the spring for the shock and inserting the bottom of the shock into the top whilst at the same time getting the drive shaft through the centre of the suspension plate, it was a nightmare, then you have to fit the wheels, the drive shafts don’t show through the suspension plate the wheels centre hub goes into the hole in the plate and the drive shaft and the shaft goes into the centre hub of the wheel the end of the shaft it flat and the edges of the hub are flat (I ended up shamfering the end of the wheel hub) oh and the suspension linkages are just c shaped and you push fit them over the appropriate rod shaft or bolt, it’s all very fragile.( although it does work)

Did more work on the 910 made the porsche decals for the side (quite pleased with them) masked and painted the windscreen and built the dashboard.
Working on the font for the number 20 (proving quite difficult)

3 Likes

Ken,
Now I understand your frustration over their suspension build directions. Sounds like a true nightmare.

Your decals look fantastic. Very well done is an understatement.

joel

She’s nearing completion now (I hate those PE seat belts, in fact I hate PE full stop)

3 Likes

Ken,
Absolutely a impressive build of a true Iconic classic Porsche from a Tamiya kit that is anything but typical Tamiya in terms of build.

I’m no expert on Porsches by any means, but almost no sports prototypes back in the early through mid 1960’s had seatbelts or driver’s harnesses as stock items. What I’ve found out over the last few years about why so many restored cars have them, is simply because without them, they can’t “race” them in any historic races.

Here’s a picture of a non-restored but cared for original 910/8 Spider. So you can remove those Metal seatbelts without any issues to authenticy to your usual ultra high standards.

joel

You are totally correct mate that is the only reason they fit them and this car was raced regularly so had them, im sure the new owner will be racing it (I hope so anyway I think it’s sad when they just sit in a collection )

Ken,
Glad to hear that. BTW, in the pics, the seat harness looks darn good to me.

joel

Thanks Joel
Added the hinges to the side windows. Definitely on the last leg now.

3 Likes

Ken,
She’s looking better everyday. You just gotta love the lines of a 910.
joel

Doing alot of good work on this one Ken. Great paint and detailing.

Thanks guys.
Hi all nearing completion now, really enjoyed this kit.

3 Likes

Fantastic build Ken!

cheers
Michael

Ken,
Now that’s one really sweet Porsche build.
joel