Tamiya 1/24 Porsche 956

Hi all my boss asked me to build this for him.

I made a start

2 Likes

Hi all more progress on this (you can tell its an old Tamiya kit as there is loads of detail to be added, thats not supplied with the kit)

1 Like

looks good so far!

Thanks Bill

Hi all more progress, made some of the missing pipework.

Hi all I thought I had done my first colour coat then realised the rear fins should have been white on the outside.

And made a start on scratch building the brake air ducting (these bits are tiny 5x8mm)

For the ducting the plan is to use a spring and some shrink wrap (we will see thats the plan anyway))

2 Likes

Ken,
Just a great start on the Tamiya 956. I built this kit and loved the build. Everything fits as usual with a Tamiya kit.

Looking forward to seeing your completed paint job as the two tone colors on the side walls can be tricky so that the striping lines up correctly.

Are you going with the kit decals or with after market ones? I used Indy Cal decals which worked perfectly.

Joel

Hi Joel it depends on how well the decals in the kit work (they are quite old and I’ve heard stories that Tamiya decals don’t age well)
I will check out indy call as you suggest.

Ken,
Michael’s decals for the Rothmans scheme comes with either the blue or just the Gold/Red stripes. Here’s my build of the kit. The blue was painted, not decaled. The white circles and lettering have only the faintest bleed through, but you really have to get up close to see any.

Joel

2 Likes

Looks great, hoping the kit decals are ok, we will see.

Ken,
Worst case scenario, you order whatever set from Indy Cals you want. It usually takes my order from day 1 till it’s in my mailbox no longer then 10 days.

Joel

Oops please mask properly ( how did i make this novice mistake) now I have to mask again.

1 Like

We’ve all done it at least once or twice.

Ken,
Don’t feel bad, as David said, we’ve all done that. And as for me, I’ve lost count on just how many times I’ve screwed up masking big time.

Joel

More progress.

Made the air ducts and flexible hose for the brakes and decided (with great trepidation) to try the old kit decals. Seems they’re fine (sighs with relief)

1 Like

Ken,
The two tone paint scheme looks darn good if you ask me. I’d say you did an excellent job with detailing the engine/transaxle/rear suspension compartment with all those lines.

As for those Tamiya decals, they look like they worked out just fine. Not to thick by any means.

Joel

More progress on the 956, added detail to the dashboard

And work on the wheels

Dont know why they used 2 different wheels sets (although it makes no difference when you put the 956 covers on as you can hardly see any of the wheel detail)

And more decal work

Ken,
The decaling is really coming out quite nicely. Looks just like the real life stickers that they used back in the day.

As for the two different wheels, well, actually both Porsche and Rothmans used more then just those two wheel types. I have pictures in my files of the Rothmans 956 with a few more types of wheels, and the combinations of all 4 types, plus the use of the wheel covers which aren’t wheel covers as we know them. They were used on all four corners, just the front, and just the back. What track, race, and length of race were determining factors.

The front wheels in the kit have BBS type centers and didn’t allow much in the way of air flow to the brakes. Those discs have fins like a fan which moves a lot more air. The rear wheels have a much greater opened area to move air.

I’ve seen pictures of LeMans Porsche 956s with all 4 wheels having wheel discs, and some just the front, while others just the rear. In shorter sprint type races where less hard braking was needed, no discs were used no matter what the wheels were.

The hardest part is actually cutting them off the trees without breaking any of the fins. Just ask me how I know.

Joel

Thanks for the info Joel

Ken,
No Problem.

Honestly, when I got into prototypes, GTs, and Sports classes, I was completely lost to all of these complexities and oddities. Truthfully, I’m still confused about a lot of this kind of stuff.

As an example, just try to figure out and follow just the Porsche 934/935 series as to what constitutes a variant.

Joel