Tamiya AMX-13

Hi all,

Finally completed my Tamiya AMX-13 that I had sitting in nothing but primer since it was released. Pulled it from the shelf of shame a few weeks ago and decided to finish her and put her on a small base.

8 Likes

Very nice also the base…the AMX it’s one of the few post war tanks I like :+1:

1 Like

Nicely done- the paintwork is great and the basing is just right.

1 Like

So finally you’ve decided to leave the rear hull basket empty ? :wink:

H.P.

1 Like

Thanks all!

HP, I will fill it up. I’ll add a figure and a bit of stowage and then she’ll be ready for the cabinet.

Very nicely done!

1 Like

Very nice. This just went on my list to get.

1 Like

What color did you use for the turret/hull.

Nice AMX 13 Jay.
I guess it’s not too late to fix one of Tamiya’s mistakes. The reflectors on the front fenders should be on the rear ones. The early AMX 13 did have the reflectors at the front but the model depicted by Tamiya is a late one. You could paint the caps of the smoke grenades dischargers black. They were rubber and usually not painted. Unfortunately when you look at walkarounds of preserved tanks they are mostly painted which is not standard.
When adding a figure, please don’t use the one in the Tamiya box. It is not any good for a French tanker.

Olivier

@Bison126, Oliver would the objection to the Tamiya figure because of the face? The figure looks like Vladimir Putin to me.

I really hate the empty cupola on this kit.

Thanks all.
@TopSmith I used olive green from AK. Made some subtle differences using different filters on different surfaces, but that’s pretty much invisible in the pics.
@Bison126 Thanks for the head’s up, I was not aware of the issue with the reflectors. When I was painting the model, my instinct was to paint the caps of the smoke dischargers in a rubber color, but most good color pics were indeed of preserved vehicles. Should be an easy fix though. Since I know pretty much nothing about French uniforms of the period, can you tell me what’s wrong with the figure?
@Armor_Buff Great, now I can’t unsee it :grin:
@Annette_Dominic I agree that is one of the weaker parts of the kit.

1 Like

Looks awesome!
Cant wait to see it finished!

1 Like

Hi all
The figure is not a bad one per se. It is just not a French tanker. The helmet is wrong, the intercom/radio equipment is missing. See the picture below (don’t focus on the coverall some tankers did not wear it) Sorry for the gas mask this is the clearer picture I have of the uniform of this period.

Olivier

1 Like

Here is another picture of the correct period battledress. Yes at that time the shirt and the tie were standard!

Olivier

1 Like

If you want you can add a nice touch of color on the decontamination bottle on the turret rear with the yellow label and the brass nozzle. :wink:

Olivier

1 Like

@Bison126 Thanks so much, Olivier! That is very helpful stuff you posted. I might just do what you suggested for the decontamination bottle (I just assumed it was a fire extinguisher), since I like having some contrasting spot colors here and there. Makes a model pop a little more.
I agree that the figure in the kit looks noting like the men in the pics. The helmet in the kit to me resembles a shrunken WW2 era US M1 helmet. I’ll see if I can source a correct figure for this tank. Blast Models may be a good place to start looking…

Indeed…

https://www.blast-models.eu/fr/moderne/250-bl35254f-amx-13-ebr-crew.html

H.P.

1 Like

Blast Models and maybe KMT from France too.

1 Like

That is a very nice set, and very affordable! Thanks gentlemen!