Tamiya customer service Rip Off in the UK

Biggles50, I was just looking at that same Asuka .50 cal last Friday at House of Hobbies.

I have had two occasions working with Tamiya located here in Southern California, both times due to my losing a particular part that I couldn’t make good on myself. The first time brought a delayed response (as the particular kit had been sold-out at the distributor) but the replacement sprue did arrive, and at no cost. The second time, same circumstances on my part, and I received the replacement sprue almost immediately, again at no charge.

I have also dealt (through FB) with the distributor for AFV-Club and had similar response.

If the particular distributor in UK is charging a service fee that is equal to the whole kit cost, I believe contacting both the distributor AND Tamiya Japan, asking for an explanation, woulld be in order.

1 Like

@Biggles50

Leo are you saying, I’m probably screwed with a Dragon 1/35 Pz IV F2/G kit that was missing the UPPER hull?

I’ll pay for a replacement with in reason - not happy at the idea of a wasted $70 kit.

Another option for missing, lost, broken, extra parts is eBay. There are a few individuals who sell sprues and hull, etc. as separate items. They are usually pretty reasonable too. I have bought quite a bit that way. Just type in the scale, model and the word “sprue” (1/35 M2A3 sprue) and they will come up.

An example:

2 Likes

well the 109’s were a build I did with my youngest son. Just rubbed me wrong. The LRDG kits were strange, and the fellow that owned the shop would have instantly made it good, but he retired and had no children left (his only son was KIA). Always wondered if somebody bought a box with just three bodies in it . The Trumpeter kit was a Christmas gift from my youngest kid when he lived in Chicago. He paid $214 dollars for that Tomcat, and all I really wanted was instructions. I’d have bought new decals. Yet I think a decal sheet should be good for at least a couple years, and mine were junk in nine months.
I think if I were Klaus, I’d check to see if Asuka sells an ammo can spru. Least they sell you the parts needed. Then of course there are resin ones out there, but some folks don’t like resin.
gary

1 Like

Wow, that’s so helpful!

I’m with Klaus-Adler and I’ve had dealings with HobbyCo, and it’s replacement (renamed?) UK distributor HobbyBond(?)

I’ve bought an entire sprue to replace missing parts on a ebay-bought kit (caveat emptor & all that).

But it cost me a fiver USD$7.00 not £22.00 USD$30.00

The issue isn’t buying a sprue, it’s the pricing, eg., HobbyBoss kits used to be about half that of Trumpeter, but when distribution was taken over by HobbyBond thet same kit was now the same price as Trumpeter.

If I want HobbyBoss/Trumpeter (same company btw) I buy from HongKong, China, Japan or Germany, even with postage, it’s cheaper!

A shout out on the forums on the Help/Parts wanted pages will often get you the part for free/p&p from the more helpful guys here, & elsewhere.

Otherwise Ebay/favourite vendors for better upgrade parts.

2 Likes

Just received today a sprue that was missing from the new 1/35 Panzer IV 70/A SPG, kit 35381, from Tamiya/USA after a lengthy email exchange. The representative I’ve been in contact with was exceptional. Not only did I get the sprue(s) that were missing, but I received it free of charge, and free postage. There is only a few manufacturers who do this…Tamiya now being one of them, Hobby Link Japan, and Plus Model. Huge, HUGE kudos to TAMIYA USA!

2 Likes

Amusing Hobby were great. I asked for a Panther G type transmission cover for their Rheinmetall Turret Panther II kit.

They snipped it out of a sprue and sent it to me for $10 total which included shipping.

My idea was that Rheinmetall was so slow at coming up with a turret that never left the drawing board, it would more likely had a G type cover and hatches. Of course, this is all a What If? here.

Now to find the time to build this kit…

1 Like