Tamiya M3 Lee, just 'cuz it was there

I wanted to build a decent M3 Lee, nobody had the Takom kit and life’s too short for the MiniArt kit, so I pulled this thing out of the bottom of the stash. I think I’ve had it for maybe 20 years? Also found was a Panzer Art turret and some Eduard brass. I used a set of more recent Tamiya M4 wheels, a bunch of spare parts and a good amount of Mr Surfacer 500…
IMG_6869 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
IMG_8046 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
IMG_8045 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
It’s been fun, and since it was all in the stash, I guess I could say cheap too. I do have a set of Tasca T-51 tracks for it too.
Chasing windmills!

8 Likes

Russel, you made a silk purse of …well, I wouldn’t call it a sow’s ear, how about just an old Tamiya? She looks great. I look forward to seeing paint on her.

That’s a reason I’m moving back to the older kits. I just don’t have the time to tackle those uber-kits.

That’s about all I care about anymore.

1 Like

Thanks!. Same here, I’m keeping the Tamiya, Academy and old Esci/Italeri kits I have, limiting my new purchases to stuff like Takom. I’m more interesting in building a whole model than spending a year or so doing an interior and tracks.

| JPTRR Senior Editor
20 May |

• | - |

Russel, you made a silk purse of …well, I wouldn’t call it a sow’s ear, how about just an old Tamiya? She looks great. I look forward to seeing paint on her.

rfbaer:

life’s too short for the MiniArt kit

That’s a reason I’m moving back to the older kits. I just don’t have the time to tackle those uber-kits.

rfbaer:

It’s been fun

That’s about all I care about anymore.

Is there a comparison of the width of the hull with other M3/M4 kits?

I could take a look, I’ve got another semi-scrapped M3 hull and plenty of M4 hulls in progress. Lower hull, correct?

Hi Russel, I’m with you I’m not wanting to spend a year on just cracks and interior! I’ve done a couple of individual track-link models and quite frankly, the heightened realism is just not worth it to me anymore. I was about 10 years younger, I’d still be trying them but they all days, I just want to build for fun. I’m a rivet counter but I’ve learned to control it. There are few subjects that I want To be as realistic and authentic as absolutely possible, but those are very few and far between anymore. Nowadays, easy to build and good enough is more important to me than the super kits out there. Not knocking the super kits at all. I love them and very thankful that they’re being produced. I’m just running out of years to worry about them.

Italeri? I always liked them; they aren’t Tamiya, but who is? ESCI? I have not built very many of their proprietary kits. I like their figure sets even though their Figures were, er, hefty.

I look bad to your Lee.