Tamiya TS050 Le Mans racer

If you think this is too subtle, one day I’ll show the forum what my work uniform is :joy:

1 Like

Here are some slightly more posed photos for your consideration:

1 Like

You build just as fast, as that car raced. Looks amazing.

1 Like

Great build Dennis, for a complex body and scheme you pulled it all together really well and very fast indeed!

Cheers, D

1 Like

absolutely incredible work Dennis. the decals application alone must have been tedious.
what method did you use to get the carbon fiber decals to conform to the wing and various panels? i have not had success trying that.
joe

1 Like

Cheers Joe! Yeah, applying the decals took me far into the wee hours. Tamiya kits feature carbon fiber decals which are cut into sections. Because the decals don’t overlap, you have to allow the decals to stay workable before using a setting solution. My method calls for putting a few drops of Tamiya MarkFit Strong on the surface the decals will be applied to. I then apply the decal normally, positioning it with tweezers. If it doesn’t want to stick down, I first DROWN it in MarkFit Strong, then use a Kleenex to remove all the excess solution. This forces the marking to conform. If that doesn’t work, I deploy the nuclear option, which is securing the decal using a miniscule amount of CA glue.

1 Like

Yep I’ve built enough cars to pay my respects to anyone who successfully navigates a 50+ decal sheet, let alone the build leading up to it. Loving this one, bravo you nailed it :trophy: :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

thanks for thereply dennis. what is mark fit,a setting solution, a adhesive? and what does it do to the decals? i never heard of it before>

joe

MarkFit is a type of decal adhesive that’s made by Tamiya to help decals adhere to the surface of a model. Here’s an example -

The idea is basically that you coat a decal in this once it’s applied to help secure it to the painted surface. It’s kind of like general purpose setting solution!

1 Like

:+1: thanks dennis. i think i will get some.
joe

Dennis,
Congrats on crossing the finish line with your TS050 racer. The kit with it’s multi piece body surely isn’t what we usually think of as a typical Tamiya build. You did an outstanding job on the build and a really excellent job on that complex decal scheme. While Tamiya decals have come a long way, they’re still not the easiest to work with over compound curves.

Looking forward to your next build.

joel

1 Like