Tamiya vs. Academy: 1/35 M60A1 with ERA Comparison Build

To that end, no matter the category placing the model on a base can hide lots of sins. A hull down position for a tank model for example. Really the most important is basic construction and then finishing (ie painting), failure here can kick you out of placing no matter what other tricks you use.

Now that the discussion has devolved into trickery, here’s my take, I’ve seen Ezra’s work, He doesn’t need to bend rules or wander into any gray areas. I think he’s fully capable of doing well in any of the traditional categories and can then do whatever he wants.
The thing about hiding the joint on rubber band tracks I don’t see as a trick - it’s just common sense. Now bending the rules to gain an advantage is something that has often baffled me. What’s the point? I suppose the original intent of OOB was to sort of level the playing field and not rely on hi-tech doo-dads - to see who has mastered the basic skills of just building a model. I’m sure most of us are at that level. Maybe some folks aren’t satisfied with that, or confident in their own skills. Whatever the case, can anyone feel good about themselves winning that way? (from what I read in the rules, parts substitution must be a thing, or they wouldn’t have mentioned it)
Example:
My sister got me playing Words With Friends on my phone last New Year’s Eve. I immediately got challengers as a noob. I suppose they thought I was an easy mark. Then as my winning percentage grew (it’s at 92% right now) I’d get a whole different kind of challenger - the ones who play a six or seven letter word every other turn. And words no one uses or has even heard of. Then I found out there are cheats online. Really? To win a silly game? The irony is I’ve rarely lost to them. And you can tell who they are. These apps they use don’t care where their word goes, so usually they leave themselves wide open for a shorter, higher scoring word on my part. Again, what is the point of winning that way? So, as tomorrow marks six months I’ve been playing, I’m quitting. Like entering model contests, I don’t have much left to prove. I haven’t entered one in decades.
Now in Ezra’s case, he chose this category for whatever reason, and obviously wants to play by the rules. Either we can assist him in his goal, or encourage him to just enter it in another category. Either way, I know he’s going to produce a damned fine model,

2 Likes

@18bravo I tend to agree on this. Erza is a very good modeler. In my view he as mastered much more than any of us at his age. His work will stand on it’s own merits in whatever category he chooses. Short cuts and “cheats” will only get you so far and eventually will be discovered and then come back to bite you, usually at the most inopportune time.

Trick, technique, pointer, common sense seems we’re using different words to describe the same thing.

Let me rephrase my prior post before the thread drifts off topic.

Does anyone have trick, techniques, pointers, common sense to share on OOB building that might be beneficial to Ezra?

@18bravo You are right about how some people act! But at the same time, when was the last time you built something just out of the box? Most of us will make some kind of a small upgrade, improvement, etc. without even thinking about it. Even something as small as swapping out a carburetor on a car model, adding bombs to an airplane, or replacing that clunky, molded on tool on the tank fender. Once you get in that habit, it can be very difficult to just use what came in the box.

That being said, Ezra is good, and can build it well any way he wants, even if it is “mostly” OOB. I am also interested to hear his opinion on the two kits; personally, I think the ESCI kit is better than the Tamiya, especially the hull.
Ken

Yes, put the model on a base. :joy:

1 Like

Thanks guys for all the info! Glad to see this build started a conversation. :rofl:

The build is almost totally done and soon I will be off to start painting it. Here are some pics side by side with the Academy kit.

Ok so my thoughts on the two kits prior to painting:

The Tamiya kit defiantly outperforms the Academy kit with the ERA armor providing so much more detail.
But the Academy kit has some slightly better details like on the stowage bins the handles are separate parts. Also some details like on the commanders hatch are slightly sharper then on the Tamiya kit.
The tracks from both kits look identical in mold and material but the Tamiya tracks fit slightly tighter.

I think I will be going for a monotone sand scheme to match the Academy kit.

2 Likes

Well spoken. I also believe the term tricks was used in innocence. Also Ezzra definitely has the skills to do this and do it well.
The amazing part is everyone stepping up to help and offer advice . Yall keep it up

The Academy M60A1 ERA kit is a slightly improved copy of the Tamiya kit. Academy improved the poorly detailed TCs cupola, tail lights, separate handles and fittings around hull, and a few other minor detail improvements. However, Academy’s overall details are soft since it is mostly a direct copy.

This M60A1 Kit Comparison Article by Jim Carswell at Missing-Links lays out the differences (good and bad) between the kits available at the time. Bottom line; Esci’s kits are superior to both Tamiya and Academy offerings.

At the time of the article’s writing (2002) those were the only three options. Since then, there has been a glut of M60 kits from most major players. Currently, Takom’s M60 kits are the best on the market. AFV Club’s are a close second, but have very heavy cast texture on the hull and turret that needs to be toned down to make them look more in scale. Esci’s kits still hold up well and are close to Takom’s quality. Dragon’s kits are so/so and probably on par with or behind Tamiya/Academy’s kits with some dimensional and detail issues to them.

1 Like

Esci vs. Tamiya ERA. Since both kits are not that expensive, I took both and combined them using the best parts of each. There were no fit problems and the final result is better than either kit. Add a metal barrel and some AFV Club track and you have a winner.

2 Likes

Once you add up the two kits, AM barrel, and tracks, you probably have spent more than one of the newer, more detailed kits would cost you. The Takom kits only run around $45-$55 shipped.

1 Like

The Academy kit does have some better details, but the ERA is horrible! There is no detail on the supports or anything. At least the fit was better.

I hope to get some more work done on the build today.

1 Like

Gino that is true but at the time there was no Takom.

Well its certainly been awhile, The Academy M60 has been destroyed by fireworks but im still working on the Tamiya one.
Colors (Hataka NATO set) and a dot filter down…

Now it needs a wash and some really light mud effects. I also plan on covering it with stowage.

4 Likes

Great to see an update on the M60 ERA, its looking good,look forward to the next update!

1 Like

Looking cool Ezra!

1 Like

Whoa, what happened to the Academy one?! That was really looking good!
Ken