Testors Italeri 1/35 M47 Patton WIP

I will to some extent. I found the TM for the M47 online, so I’ve been browsing through it… the trick is going to be to make this

Look like this

But only visible from these viewpoints

Gotta pick and choose what to add…

2 Likes

What does the kits grill doors looks like when open?

@Dan- Very nice detail on both sides of the parts

So I have no worries posing them open like here

I just have to clean up those pin marks on the bottom

2 Likes

a very nice project about to start, and It’s a great subject, I have the new Tamiya one, that has some similarities to the original Italeri one from the 70’s, but with some Big T updates. I see you’re thinking hard on the Pack, how about having only two deck lids up and a crewman doing daily checks to limit how much is exposed and how much you have to re create.

I like the sound of that idea… :thinking: Perhaps just the transmission area. That area is less complex. I do have a mechanic figure on the way for this project.

2 Likes

That is a very nice amount for detail for an Italeri kit! I cant wait to see it painted.

Their Leopard 1A4 is pretty good as well. Definitely worth a look.

2 Likes

Plastic tube stock, or stretched sprue would work best for the air intakes to the engine.I think painting the steel tubing based on the pictures of the dismounted engine will be an easy upgrade. :tanks: :tanks:

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions Carl. That sounds similar to what I’ve been thinking. It’s just a question of how much to add, a little or a lot.

1 Like

Excellent idea, the Battery area does look to be a lot of work to improve it, the transmission would be interesting, not knowing the tank that well, is there a dipstick in there he could pull and check?

There’s gotta be a dipstick in there somewhere to check fluid levels. I remember having to check multiple dipsticks on 113s when I drove those.
I’m going thru a copy of the TM finding all sorts of great reference pics. Now the question is how deep into this rabbit hole am I gonna go.

2 Likes

Seems like pretty far so talking about dip sticks. Might as well jump in with both feet.

Mantlet without foundry markings, and with.

10M47MainGunMantlet

2 Likes

There certainly has to be a dipstick.left rear on the M60 series, for the tranny
:tanks: :tanks:

1 Like

Ok, I haven’t had to PMCS a track since around 1989. But I vaguely recall dipsticks to check fluid levels in: engine, transmission, differential, left & right final drives. I’ll bet the M47 had a similar amount.

2 Likes

Hmm thats strange I dont see a photo… just a broken icon.
Edit: Neverminded, sorry it came up now.

Today’s update: I finished steps 3 & 4, adding the shocks, road wheels, and return rollers to the suspension.

Next session will be where I start dealing with the upper hull and upgrading tne engine compartment.

4 Likes

Looking good. The only thing I didn’t like about the fit of the engine was that it can wobble a little bit at least on my kit. If I did it again, I would add additional support to keep things more level and secure.

1 Like

I used to be a Tanker-you should find a engine and transmission dip stick in there some wheres.
There could also be control rods and linkages that the crew should look at.
Air intake hoses?
The engines are not full of oil but are extremely dusty due to the fan towers sucking in air.

Well, I pulled these splendid shots from the TM

To dress up this area

I’ll start next bench session… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes