Testors Italeri Marder III H Shelf of Doom Reprieve

That is hilarious!

My experience with vintage builds is they’re the most expensive in time, scratch building and aftermarket needs. However, they’re always my favorite builds when wrapped.

4 Likes

Sounds like I’m in good company here! I have no problem with older kits in most respects. I honestly tend to lose steam on some of the newer tool kits that break down assemblies into tiny multi piece plastic & photo etch aggravating experiences.

2 Likes

At long last, some 20 years after I first started this kit, it is now finally finished. My second completion of this year! This is the Testors boxing of the 70’s vintage Italeri molds. I replaced the kit single piece vinyl tracks with some Dragon indy link tracks, added a CMK resin transmission, plus some other scratch work on the interior to fill up the open spaces in there. The crew figures are Dragon, Decals from Star Decals “Panzers in Italy” sheet and I painted this with Floquil and Vallejo colors. Stowage came from various items in my spares bins.

Thanks for looking! Comments and critiques are welcome.

13 Likes

Those Germans are in for a nasty surprise,
their ride is about to throw a track :wink:

The other side is a lot better

Well done on this old kit!
:+1: :clap:

2 Likes

Carlos, congratulations! It’s always especially good to complete an old shelf queen!

Looks good!

Nicely done!

1 Like

:face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:
I know… thats what happens when you decide to replace the kit trucks with AM tracks years after starting construction, and you have the fenders glued on so no work room… man that was a beeyatch to get to this point… But yup, thrown track ahead… :smirk:

Thanks for the laugh and kind words

2 Likes

Thanks Wade! One more shelf queen completed! Its nice to finish something, and even better to reduce the backlog by one.

3 Likes

I really like it. The camouflage is intricate and interesting. Mud on the running gear looks believable. The tracks are a bit clean in comparison to other elements below the fenders but that can happen after crossing a stream. Unless a person has first hand knowledge of Marder III H models, there is nothing egregious to suggest it was released 40+ years ago. The addition of better tracks and figures helped a lot in that regard. The figures and equipment add a nice splash of color and genuinely look well done.

Congratulations on finishing this old project. I would be happy to have one like it in a display case.

2 Likes

Thanks Doug! Trying to get tracks to looks just right is something I’m still working on… better than I used to do, but still got a ways to go. Would you believe that the original kit dates back to 1972?! The Dragon figures and tracks are a big improvement over what comes in the box.

2 Likes

I remember really wanting this one as a kid. Seeing it built up makes me smile.

The individual link replacement tracks came out pretty good. On a vehicle that size, with each individual link so small, getting them to drape just right is very difficult. To my eyes, it looks like you may have used one too many links per run. The problem is, as you well know, those little links easily shatter so adjusting a built up run is tough work. It still looks within reason. I have seen lots of period Panzer 38s in need of some quality time with track tensioning tools.

It looks like it could be waiting in the high grass, ready to kill any T34 that appears on the horizon.

2 Likes

Excellent job on this old kit Stik. And I like the figures you’ve added- great job all around!

3 Likes

Good job taken one of the shelf of doom and making look better. :+1::+1:

Something to look out for on the next kit. Unless trying to show the vehicle in motion, the track should be hanging down.

Robin, mentioned the one side and the other doesn’t look to be connected or if so barely.

Again, for the next tank and I get the challenge of adding the track after the fact. Still a good looking model. :+1:

4 Likes

DANG! I missed that!
Must be Magic Tracks,
similar to magic tools that didn’t need clasps or fasteners to hang from hull sides …

Tracks can actually cling to the sprocket and get bent the “wrong” way when a tracked vehicle moves, depending on direction.
Sprocket forward → track can cling when moving forward
Sprocket at the rear → track can cling when reversing

1 Like

Correct, I had mentioned unless showing in motion. I think there should probably be some other suspension changes and on a base to help sell the motion. I don’t think Carlos was attempting that but I could be wrong.

1 Like

And I failed to notice that the track fails to hang down from the idler.
The sprocket is at the other end …

1 Like

Superb build Carlos… Very well done :+1:

3 Likes

Nope, I was not trying to replicate motion in the tracks. It was just something of a pain to get those damned Dragon indy link tracks to fit and get in there at all. One link more, and the drape on top is way off… one link less, and the damn things won’t close up.
Like I said, this won’t win any prizes… unless there is no other competition…

3 Likes

Looks very nice. Great paint and weathering. And as mentioned, the camo is quite interesting and realistic looking.

1 Like

Excellent ! Nobody would have made such a nice kit in the 80’s ! Really love the brushed camo !

Eric

1 Like

Thanks guys!

I had this reference photo for the actual vehicle, plus several others in Black & White to give a good idea of how it needed to be painted.

5 Likes