The Big 3 Universes - Star Wars-Star Trek - BSG

The Big 3 Universe build. Star Wars - Star Trek & Battlestar Galactica

Group Build Leader(s): [@Johnnych01 ]

Group Build Description: [After the Star Wars Alternate cam Scheme group build, there was a bit of interest for
a general Star Wars Universe (SWU) build. I have now enlarged the scope for this by adding the Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica universes into the fray. This would be OOB from any of the various films, TV shows, books or comics, and if you wanted, you could even do another alternate cam scheme. Other general rules would be along the lines of :

• Start date 01 Nov 2022 - 14 Nov 2023
    2022-11-01T04:00:00Z→2023-11-15T04:59:00Z
  • Any scale.
  • From any of the named Big 3 Universes themed films/shows/comics etc.
    1. OOB – Actual kits of items from the Movies, TV series, comics, etc., as they appear in the sources.
    2. Alternative finishes – As OOB but with different colour schemes.
    3. Customised – As OOB but with some modification (useful if you have an incomplete kit, say one that has been a parts donor for another build). Alternative finishes acceptable.
    4. Canon Scratchbuild – An item which appears in the same sources as OOB kits but which has not been kitted itself. For this there must be a visual reference posted so people can see/identify what you basing your build on-ie - screenshot picture from film/comic etc

Pushing the envelope, and at the discretion of the Group Build Leader: so discussed 1 to 1.

1. “Inspired By” - Your own creation, a drastic customisation or scratchbuild but which looks at home in the Big 3 . universe themes. **If anyone attempts this, there must be a visual reference included within the build/dio to the canon Big 3 Universe schemes ie; a Clone trooper/Stormtrooper/Cylon/ Klingon/Borg, a known R2 or C3 type droid/Jawa /Canon universe vehicle etc etc - this will anchor it to the Big 3 theme.**.
  • Kit can be new - unopened or partial (25%or less started). I will decide on any pre started kits on a 1 to 1 basis.
  • Any vehicle Land/Air or Space and any figure/character. (This includes busts of any scale)
  • Initial picture of kit as it is on the sprue or Bag/Box
  • Lots of progress pics during the build phase.
  • Do as many kits as you like.
  • Dio bases are welcome but not essential.
  • Any unfinished build from the Star Wars alternative cam group build can be included in this new build to allow for completion.

Completion Award/ campaign medal. Will be designed and awarded on completion of the kit within the time frame.

5 Likes

I am in. Don’t know if I voted correctly but I’m assuming both options are positive?

1 Like

Yeah its cool Jim, either is ok for this. Its just to get a general feel if people want one or not. As long as I get between 6 and 10 Going’s I will go forward with it :+1:

2 Likes

OK, I don’t do many Si-Fi kits, but what does this mean?

I’ve got a bagged X-Wing fighter in the stash, so I can’t do an in the box start pic. :roll_eyes: Two sets f Instructions, one from MPC and one from Revell, could be a fun build. :wave:

1 Like

A possible entry?

7 Likes

He means post your work (the more the better) when adding the new paint job. :+1:

It was a cut and paste from the alternative cam scheme group build. I thought I had deleted the last part and just left lots of pics part.
Bagged kits are fine, not essential for the box to be present as long as we can see the kit :+1:
And as Ryan said, it just means pictures during the build phase if possible so we all get to see it build up :+1:
Will edit the error in the intro post.

1 Like

An excuse to build the Finemoulds X-wing I have in the stash… I’m in.

1 Like

I think I have the MPC / ETRL 1/43 X-Wing. It has the MPC/ETRL and the AMT/ERTL instructions. but the parts seem to match the MPC assembly drawings. :roll_eyes: :wave:

1 Like

After just building the MPC AT-AT, (I.e. :poop: ) I pity you Mark.

2 Likes

I think my son paid about $5 for the bag over 20 years ago. I’m sure I’m in for a treat. :wave:

2 Likes

Happy to run another general Star Wars Universe campaign for all vehicles/figures/platforms from all shows and allow alternate cam schemes etc so its open to OOB builds or artistic licence builds ?

I wish you hadn’t suggested this, it’s got my over-optimistic imagination fired up again. That and a “Lego Masters” programme I saw a while back where the challenge was to design a vehicle which fitted the “Star Wars” universe. Without wanting to push things too far towards a general SF build I was thinking along these lines for eligibility:

1. OOB – Actual kits of items from the Movies, TV series, comics, etc., as they appear in the sources.

2. Alternative finishes – As OOB but with different colour schemes.

3. Customised – As OOB but with some modification (useful if you have an incomplete kit, say one that has been a parts donor for another build). Alternative finishes acceptable.

4. Canon Scratchbuild – An item which appears in the same sources as OOB kits but which has not been kitted itself.

Pushing the envelope, and at the discretion of the Group Build Leader:

1. “Inspired By” - Your own creation, a drastic customisation or scratchbuild but which looks at home in the Star Wars universe.

Apart from the “Lego Masters” show (the winner was highly praised; it was said that it was so in the spirit if it was boxed up and released as part of the range it would sell well) it was where my warped imagination immediately jumped too. I’ll try to explain my thought processes (to use the term loosely) so that sane people might grasp how I got there.

Han Solo’s Millennium Falcon is a drastically hot-rodded YT-1300f, powerful but temperamental.
In the movie “American Graffiti” Harrison Ford’s character drives a much-modified 1955 Chevrolet One Fifty two-door sedan.
In “American Graffiti” one of the primary locations is a diner where the youths of the town hang out, an iconic feature of many movies/shows set in the era.
There must be an equivalent of the diner somewhere near the Lars homestead (Mos Espa?) where the local kids gather to tell exaggerated tales of Womp Rat hunts and laugh at the beater X-34 landspeeder that farmboy Skywalker drives. The vehicle park will be packed with their rides, many customised or hot-rodded.
It therefore follows, illogically, that a 1950s American sedan converted to anti-gravity suspension and given a similar treatment to the De Lorean in “Back to the Future II” should be at home there…

O.K., it’s special pleading but I’ve got several boxes of 1:25th car components daring me to make something out of them. Or if I could rustle up sufficient Micro Machines figures and vehicles that are the same scale do a whole Mos Espa Diner diorama…

Cheers,

M

Tom,

1 to 4 are fine and along the lines I had hinted at, and I will edit the intro post to reflect that and I am intrigued with point 5, so, on good faith I will include that but with slightly stricter caveats to keep it Star Wars themed and not meandering into general SciFi.

John

2 Likes

I absolutely agree with you on this point. The “Lego Masters” build which so impressed me included both Star Wars Minifigs and components from (and exclusive to?) the Lego Star Wars range. The colours used also were reminiscent of the palette used by canon vehicles. For scratchbuilds a photo of components intended for inclusion in the model could substitute for the box/bag/sprue shot.

Regards,

M.

1 Like

I am in for this one! Plenty of entries to choose from in Star Wars Legion models :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Glad you’re in Jesper. I have been looking at the legion stuff as well.

Edit. Only really need one more and I will go firm with it… Anyone have any preference to Oct or Nov start ?

1 Like

I’d be interested, got a few I’ve been meaning to build. Trouble is, I may have signed up for a few too many campaigns already!

Hit the button…your not committed :+1:

1 Like

There was a lot of effort that went into the unfinished builds from the Star Wars alternative cam scheme build and I know real life gets in the way …

Is everyone cool with …

If you started a build there but didn’t get to finish it, you can have a gold pass straight into this Star Wars universe build to get it finished ?? Thoughts …

6 Likes

As a late finisher for that campaign, I have no issue with extending that build into this one, if the guys that started want to do that John.

1 Like