The Brick house challenge 1/35

Hi,
I saw @gloch1 Stalingrad diorama the other day. Very inspiring to see this diorama coming alive. I also learned a lot about bricks, yes I am a rookie in many ways!
Tonight I thought, why not give my self a challenge!
I said: Erik you must build a vignette that includes a brick building in 1/35.
I have not done this before so it’s a great opportunity to do some practice in brick building.
I learned the basic facts in gloch1’s thread.

I want you to help me get the best result as possible, give me feedback, say if you think something is wrong or not realistic. You will judge me all the way.

I found three figures in my stock that I think will work together, the theme is Stalingrad in September/October 1942. As you might have noticed, I don’t usually do “Drinking coffee dioramas”, I like to have a little more action in my builds.
In this vignette a group of German soldiers are fleeing out of an industrial brick building. Maybe the Russians are using flamethrowers nearby?

The material I used for this mockup is all leftovers I found. In the final build I will use new parts.
I have no idea when I will start building this vignette, but I assume I will prepare the base in a short time.
Please don’t tell the dio police about this…

Pictures mockup:
Over and out!

10 Likes

Your mock ups are better then anything I can build. I am just here to enjoy the ride.

3 Likes

Love seeing the 1/72 next to the big brother 1/35… It really puts it into perspective. The mock up looks great… And I have to agree with Ryan… Just doing that mock up would take me about a week… Bring on the bricks :grin::+1:

3 Likes

Your imagination and use of raw materials to ‘throw together’ a mock up of your vignette is fascinating. Seems like it takes me forever to come up with a good idea and then an equal amount of time to source materials and piece together something that will work. I await with great anticipation to see your project come to life.

Cheers,
C.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot guys:) well as you watch this build, you will notice things so don’t be shy to tell me things.

I looked at the pictures while eating my porridge this morning.
The question in the mockup of “Checking out” was are the going in or out.
I get the same feeling in this one, there could be questions… every question must have an answer in this vignette.
So, I thought it is easier/better to tell the viewers that they are coming in to the building. How should I do that? By placing a tree or plant somewhere! These are definitely on the outside…
So I put some bushes outside the window, then you know what’s in and out! We also got a feeling that the factory floor is lower than outside, as in a basement.
How about that?
/Erik

2 Likes

amazing what idea bank you have I am really impressed

1 Like

Really nice idea and execution of the mock-up is ace!

1 Like

Great idea with the tree for additional visual impact and it gives some focus to the external aspect of it.

How will you tackle the glass ? Will the window be fully blown out ?

1 Like

I like it already , keep it up my friend .tumblr_m78747T3Yk1r4d22do1_400

1 Like

Walls in different directions gives opportunities to use different types of brick bonds and maybe brick sizes

1 Like

I get the point of the tree and it will do as you suggest, my only thought is why would they have a window in that location? With the wall there it appears to be a dead end, I see no engineering or architectural reason to have a window in that location. For a modern building, that could be a ventilation duct.

1 Like

Trees and bushes? In Stalingrad? Next to a demolished factory? In late Autumn/Winter?..

Nah… :smile:

1 Like

Use different type of wall surface to define inside and outside.
Bare bricks on the outside and maybe plastered (putsad) on the inside.
Another possibility is to hang something on the inside wall, notice board, a calender or something that belongs inside a building.

Windows in corners: The window could be there because it was part of the original building, the corner is caused by another building or extension getting built later. Brick walls will sometimes also show windows or doors that have been closed with bricks when the usage of the rooms inside was changed.
Why did the duct cross the window?
Becaúse it needed to …

Who in their right mind puts a window behind a ventilation duct?
bild
The duct came later …
Also notice the partial rebuild of some windows

Repurposed window

1 Like

Well for a load of leftovers this sure is looking good!

1 Like

Some valid points reference the tree and foliage for that time of year. If you extended the wall with the window in all the way down and got rid of the arch part, you could do as Robin suggests and maybe put a notice board or wall shelving units on that wall and perhaps have part of the wall around the window frame blown out or in, giving a more easy way inside ?

1 Like

Guys, this is amazing what a great feedback, I am really thankful :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Every one who has an opinion will in someway be a part of this build.

I get the point about the trees, but it’s easy to have an stereotypical picture of Stalingrad. Of course there were trees and bushes etc but not with green leafs as I showed.

Also it’s important to think, if there is a window, why is it there etc.
Robin your thoughts, pictures and expert brick knowledge I hope this build will be great!

The most important thing is to decide if I show the inside or outside. I think it’s most interesting to let this be the inside.
Good tip to paint some of the walls white and to have things on the walls that indicate that we are inside. There could be a couple of cool details for sure.
I will check my box with “diorama parts”.

Keep hit me with feedback, this really great!
Thanks to all of you!

3 Likes

On first glance of your original photo, I thought they were dropping from street level down into an underground tunnel because of the really large pipes. If that were the scenario, you could do bricks on the front side of the dio. On the back you could build it up to look like an access well.

:beer:

1 Like

Any more thoughts about the pipes? I am no industrial expert, I use my imagination but will search for reference pictures.

It depends on what they were used for.
Heavy steel pipes to move chemicals, water or something used in the production. Needs heavier attachments to keep them in place.
Lightweight pipes as ventilation ducts.
Insulated ducts for cold air in warm/humid rooms or for hot air in cold rooms

1 Like

Thanks Robin!
It’s no problem to change size or amount of pipes, it’s still mockup 1.0…
I will see if it possible to have a blown up wall instead of the window. Then we don’t have to wonder why the window exist:)
/Erik

1 Like