The Worst Model Kit You Ever Built?

pfeh! i thought i had the Alan Bison 1 in the stash lucky me i have the Bison 2 :roll_eyes:

Hey all,

Almost anything from Skif is a real pain in assembly, and the lack-of and/or incorrect details can make anyone sad.

Rpm and Mirage have some pretty bad ones too although they are unique topics and are rather cheap.

Johnnych01 was that the one with the oval wheels due to the moulds being run to destruction?

1 Like

It’ll be twice the fun.

It could well be Hohenstaufen, to be honest, there really was so much wrong with it in the end it just blurred into one big FUBAR kit… Then if took a one time flying lesson into the bin

John,

Mine turned out so horrible, at least you saved a lot of valuable time…

Covered mine in celuclay mud, cut up and old broom to make a wheat field. The wheat scaled out to about 8 foot tall to hid the kit. Wasted a good base when it all got tossed in the bin :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad to know about the Alan Bison. Was considering it as an alternative to the Dragon version. It’s much cheaper but you get what you pay for.

1 Like

I don’t do lot of armour but this kit was a pig, locator pins didn’t line up including the turret ring and cross turret gun link. Plastic was very hard, detail missing or soft, mould slip on detail and guns. Ended up in the bin.

1 Like

Ugh I have that kit in my stash and looked forward to building it . That bad ?

1 Like

Tie between the Zvezda T-60 (their very first armor kit), and the Alan Su-76 (the side plates were a scale three inches thick). Poor fit, poor details.
Runner-ups:
Lindberg M46 (1/32nd version) was pretty dreadful, as was the Monogram M48A2. Lundberg’s Soviet T-80 was also dismal.
Like early Tamiya, early Trumpeter kits were distorted to fit the electric motors and batteries (mainly their T-54/55 family). Early kits were molded in ABS plastic instead of polystyrene, and only responded to Plastruct cement or super glue. The early Academy kits mentioned by others were unlicensed copies of Tamiya molds, and duplicated Tamiya’s dimensional errors for motorization, but added dismal fit of the components.

1 Like

Damn - that’s a shame; I managed to track one down (it seems to be quite rare) and is now awaiting my attention - along with a couple of hundred others.

Any tips?

1 Like

Verlinden 1/48 88mm Pak 43. The barrel was warped, but that was the least of the problems. The instructions was a sheet of indecipherable garbage drawn by a “challenged” chimpanzee, and none of the drawn parts looked remotely like the resin pieces, which didn’t matter much because none of the resin parts looked like what they were supposed to be! And the PE shield was made of really thick gauge brass without the benefit of etched folding lines. A real invitation to scratch-building the entire gun and tossing the kit! :angry:
:smiley:

2 Likes

I don’t have a box image, but you can find images on eBay.

Don’t buy anything from Kitech (Made in China). Their 1/32 OH-6 has parts in 1/35, 1/48, and 1/72 scale to make up the helicopter that seems to be missing parts to assemble. The two unrealistic pilots appear as inflatable air balloon dolls—puffy, rounded, and so skinny that can be considered pillows.

I paid $5 for the kit solely for spare parts so I wasn’t upset at the outcome. For instance, the M134 minigun was in 1/72 scale for a 1/32 helicopter! It was so laughable that I used that minigun for Sci-Fi.

1 Like

About among the worst ever would be the very first armor that Trumpeter released in 1999,2000.These more like fancy toys with the motors than a true model.

1 Like

Had some trading going on the the late 70’s/early 80’s with Russian modelers. All I got back in trade were Ogonek kits. Most horrible plastic I’ve ever seen. Not 1/35 at all, but somewhere in between 1/30 and 1/32 scale. All of their kits hardly had any detail what-so-ever…and ended up looking more like a training aid. All the tracks looked and felt like a belt that came off a 45 or a 33 rpm belt driven turntable. Whatever the Russians use for a mold release agent left the kits almost unpaintable, was thick and heavy and difficult to wash off…and in some areas, glue would not work/bond the plastic. The box art was cartoonish and the paper for the box was so thin, it left every kit received, crushed. Decals? Utterly useless.

Right behind Ogonek? ARK Models…also from Russia and just as bad.

N2U2MmZmNTBkNjRmOTgyMmU2MjBhNGM0YWNjMTg3MGP1PfWZFrZNM80nIpy3OMuUaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMTk4Mjg2NTk1ZWIzNjJlN2Y2NmU5NjU1MDIxY2RlYzcxMGY2ZjkxZDczY2E1NzhkYzYyMDVmNjZmMjVmZjQ4ZS5qcGd

2 Likes

I keep reading these and think… yeah, I’ve built that one… and that one… and that one… and I must be pig headed stubborn or something. Some fought me more than others, and they have the inaccuracies listed. But I eventually turned out decent builds of most in the end, no matter how much they fought me. Are they gonna be prize winners? Oh no. But they filled gaps nobody else could in the collection at that time when bought or built.

3 Likes

Have a fire sale! Literally! :joy:

@GulfWarrior i built this kit and didn’t hate it until i realized that the rubber band tracks they had in the kit weren’t enough to fully go around both sides.

2 Likes

S-Model Early Sexton, looked in the box every now & then, sighed put it away, then sold it when I heard about Dragon doing one.

Other wise Fonderies Minitures, 1 built (1/48th Horsa Nightmare) 1 draw, (1/2 built mood-hoovering 1/35th LCVP)

1 Like

By far- Mirage Hobby’s #35510 VICKERS-ARMSTRONG 6 ton Light Tank V-A 6-ton mk. F/B (Bulgarian, Finnish and English version)!

Besides all possible faults- thick gates, sink marks and holes, poor fit e.t.c. it claimed one can build the Bulgarian version out of it.
The kit proved to have nothing in common with the Bulgarian Vickers.

After a lot of modifications, kitbash and scratchbuilding, I managed to produce something trustworthy out of it:

Although it was the kit, that introduced me to the wonderfull world of superdetailing, conversion and scratchbuilding, I will never ever lay my hands again on it!

Cheers,
Angel

4 Likes