Tiger I Transport Track Color

I just read some thing interesting.
Apparently, Tiger I and Tiger II transport tracks were painted green and red, respectively, for easy and quick identification. The question is: What color green and what color red? I’m sure its not some garish color, but wonder if it is more like a camo green or red oxide type color. I’m currently working on a project and this sounds like an interesting detail to add.
Any ideas?

1 Like

Never heard of that. Source? Honestly would not think it necessary. Transport tracks were narrow, combat wide. Seems easy!

It was more for the non-military rail people, apparently.
Here is a link to the article:
https://blog.tiger-tank.com/headline-news/two-widths-track/

1 Like

OK I see. It was to distinguish between the Tiger I and II tracks, not the transport vs combat tracks. That makes more sense. Interesting detail!

The colored paint was only applied to one link in ten, not the whole track run.

1 Like

I don’t doubt you, geraldowens, but is there a source. I like saving that stuff for future reference

This is very interesting, I knew about the colors but not that only one in ten was painted. It makes sense, but do you have a source for that?

According to Jentz… Tiger 1 pg 164. On Tiger 1 transport tracks. Starting Sept 44 2/3 out of every 10 links were to be painted Green. This implies that the whole track was NOT painted only 2/3 out of every 10 links.

I just pulled this from a post on ML where Brett posted the same question.

Cheers, Mike

I’m currently at work, when I get home I’ll check my copy of the book for exact wording, if someone else doesn’t beat me to it. :grin:

Thanks for the information Mike, but 2/3 means “2 or 3”, or is it 2/3 of the 10 links, or 2/3 of a single link every 10…? Non native English speaker here, sorry :innocent:

I think in this case it means 2 to 3 links out of 10 were painted.

Thanks again :+1:

1 Like