Tin Can Sailors Campaign (10/1/20 - 10/31/21)

That looks really great!

Hey thank you for the flowers :innocent:

for these tiny PE-parts I apply a big drop Cyanoacrylate glue at baking paper. I found out this will keep the glue longer “liquid” and gives you therefore more working time. I also use toothpicks for taking over and apply small amounts of Cyanoacrylate. This works very well for me. Otherwise I could not handle these small PE-parts at the funnels for example. If the tip of the toothpick will get thick from the clogged glue, just sharpen it again with a file.

Cheers :beer:

1 Like

Black Sheep,

I see the second funnel has quite a gap at the base, will it be sitting on the PE deck? Seem to me that would make it harder to fill the gap. Very like the PE work on the ship’s launches.

Mark :beer:

Hey Mark,

everything is just resting without glue for a general overview. I already dismantled the single components again for an easier paint. when they are glued on at last everything will sit evenly (I hope :sweat_smile: )

Cheers

Thomas :beer:

Black Sheep,

I find CA stay liquid and doesn’t soak into Post-Its note pads also.

After getting side tracked by my USS Missouri I am back at the destroyers. I have been working on the superstructure railing for the Atago. Much more of a pain to do than the Myoko due to many more complex curves. Next time I am going to spend the money for a set specifically for the kit.

Just need to add some of the more breakable plastic parts that I left off when doing the railing and then onto paint.

5 Likes

This will be my final update post before launch day since both ships are very close to completion. All the gubbins are painted and just need to be installed. All that is left after that is the railings, flight safety nets and the heleicopters.

Superstructure is painted and has been mated to the hulls. I have to do some work to blend the hulls into the superstructure which you can see with the sanded areas.

6 Likes

They look great Rory!

Indeed nice effort Rory, hats off! :+1:

Superb effort Rory :slightly_smiling_face: :clap:

Very nice Rory!!

I am calling my builds done.

They are painted as realistically as I could get them. My only concessions to artistic license are the chaff and harpoon caps which should be black or dark grey and not red. I did the red because it helps break up all the grey and I also found photos of both harpoon and chaff launchers with red caps. Granted these were on USN ships… :grin:

Myoko and Atago together:

JMSDF Myoko DDG-175

This was the nicer kit to build. It wasn’t nearly as part heavy as the Atago but still looks great. She did not come with a plastic name plate and instead had decals. Unfortunately the one with the english name committed Seppuku when I was trying to get it onto the base so I had to use the Japanese one which honestly I think is pretty cool.

JMSDF Atago DDG-177

Far more complex to build with, in my opinion, too many parts. The railings were also way more of a pain with more complex curves. The deck decals also gave me no end of issues. Basically I didnt enjoy this one nearly as much. This one also came with a plastic name plate as well as the decals like Myoko. I wanted to use the decals so it matches however, they did not fit into the base recess so that idea was scrapped.

I may go back and build up the helicopters at some point when I am feeling bored but they aren’t necessary.

Overall, I mostly enjoyed this dual build. That being said I don’t think I will be dual building ships again.
Looking forward to everyone’s builds to come!

5 Likes

Those both look great!

Rory! Super nice and quick work!

Congratulations are due for your triple commissioning :beers::beers::beers::tada::sparkler:

Rory,

Both ships are sweet looking and will display nicely.

For some reason I cant go back and edit the original first post. So I will just have to reply with a new list of completions as we go along.

Completed:

phil2015 - IJN Inazuma
McRunty - JMSDF Atago, JMSDF Myoko
Black_sheep - Z-25

There is a point at which you can no longer edit the original post in a thread with the new forum software. It would be nice if that could be updated…

Two great results with your two japanese DDGs Rory! I like them both very much :+1:

Cheers

Thomas

ok gentlemen, my tin can also just steamed over the finish line today! The ship is exhibited in its 1945 configuration with heavily improved AA capabilities. It was an exhaustive and comprehensive build. I used about estimated 95% of the etched parts from Flyhawks SUPER UPGRADE SET exept from the AA-guns which were outstanding quality 3D-printed parts from Black Cat Models. The mines are also brandnew 3d printed parts from SSN Modellbau. In the end I was happy to finish this one as I felt as I tackled an huge battleship instead of a tiny destroyer.

Anyhow here are my final pictures:

And once again within its brandnew encasing which will get an extraordinary good place to rest in my office

I hope you like what you see - off for a beer or two now :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: :beer:

8 Likes

Incredible work!! She’s a beauty :+1:t2: