US Army's New M10 Booker (MPF)

A photo from Defence Blog.

One has to recall that a lot of these US weapon systems have been upgraded and updated to make them work, such as the Patriot SAM that is now the Patriot PAC-3 version and packing four missiles per launcher cell instead of one just due to chip miniaturization. The M1 Abrams became the M1A2 System Enhancement Program (SEP) Version 3 and 4. The Apache AH-64 became the AH-64D and E. The CH-47 Chinook is now the “F” and “G” variant. So there are now a few iterations from the “Plain Vanilla” system then when it started as.

I am surprised that the M10 Booker still has the pintle .50cal M2HB. It’s probably not an US Army requirement for CROWS II, but for a tank, I’d add the LP CROWS II RWS even if it tips the scale at another ton added. Having the TC stick his head and upper torso out to aim and fire the rooftop MG is just so outdated these days.

M10 is based off of the UK AJAX chassis…you can see that the driver’s hatch is offset from center on both photos of the AJAX and the M10.

M10 Booker does have bow camera system to aid the driver, GPS, TC’s CITV, turret wire cutter, and 16 smoke grenade launchers for perhaps four smoke salvos.

I would assume that the Army can bolt on a thicker frontal hull plate if they wanted to.

I’d also see if the US Army can do something about the thermal and engine exhaust coming out of the right side of the hull…perhaps “harmonica baffles” like the F-117A to distribute the smoke, heat, blackness, and noise.

1 Like