Vargas Scale Models Kit # R3D-35-777 M777-a2 in 1/35 | Armorama™

Inbox review of a new 3D printed kit of the M777 Howitzer

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://armorama.com/news/vargas-scale-models-kit-r3d-35-777-m777-a2-in-1-35

Great review. I echo everything you’re saying. I’m mid build right now. Tons of fragile details. I’ve experienced some frustrating fitment issues with the breachblock tube, front barrel support and tube. It seems the breachblock tube is too small/short. Lots of sanding and putty to make it fit but it certainly will be a detail any artilleryman r modeler who is looking down into the innards of the assembly will likely notice. In the end, likely something no one can notice.

I strongly echo your sentiment on the instructions. The level of detail is great but can present a challenge in clarity of what you’re looking at. With this type of printing, scale, minor detail, it can be a challenge to know if you’re looking at an imperfection tag from printing, a detail, or a key connection for later in the build.

I agree with both the reviewer and the above commenter. The M777 will be the next kit after my HEMTT wrecker in-progress. The Vargas instructions really aren’t instructions, and not as desirable as a placement guide either. But heck, my Trumpeter kit instructions left me hanging a few times as well, with inverting parts from one illustration to the next, and subsequent repairs to correct mis-placement.

What would really be beneficial is if one of the brave souls tackling this kit were to amend the Vargas plans with appropriate advice, warnings, and suggestions, to guide those that are just approaching this kit.

My previous experience with a Vargas kit was one of the early US Army tank kits that had eight pieces to the whole thing. Nicely done and instructions were not needed for this one. The M777, however, must be approached in a kit-builder’s frame of mind, especially as CA adhesive is very unforgiving if the parts are not spot-on the first time. Given the vague directions and numerous small parts, I’m going to keep this one in the box pending more feedback from other Armorama builders. Let’s hope the next Vargas howitzer comes with instructions in the box when shipped, and that they are more of an assist to the builder.

A good walk around might help with assembly as well…

:+1:

I may be ordering one soon.

I just finished assembling and priming the Vargas M777. I have mixed feelings about it: on the one hand, parts are extremely fine and well detailed beyond what can be achieved on a plastic kit with as few parts as this one (~30 parts total). On the downside, aside from the instructions, I have found the actual resin to be a bit odd, as it feels somewhat porous and malleable. I had some parts warp after washing with cold water and soap, and all parts generally feel a bit soft to the touch. I can’t tell if this model will stay stable over time, or start drooping and deforming due to gravity and ambient temperature. Also, I believe some parts might have been missing in my kit, and the wheels/tires are shaped to show the flat spot due to weight when the vehicle is towed. These show in the wrong place when the wheels are retracted in firing position. This cannot be corrected as the wheels are printed together with the hubs and arms, so they can’t be turned around to hide the flat spot. A few other issues are related to the gun tube assembly (a little too short, even though it’s barely visible), and one hydraulic cylinder under the gun which is too short and needs to be resized. Finally, using CA can be tricky as it is unforgiving and most parts don’t have placement keys. Overall it makes an impressive and detailed model of an important subject which is otherwise unavailable in kit form, but expect a few quirks and challenges when putting it together.

1 Like

Welcome to Armorama Maurizio, and thank you for that review! I hope you stick around and enjoy the site.

1 Like

Welcome Maurizio! Sounds like a very nice kit you built there and thank you for the review. Do you have any pictures of the primed model?

1 Like

Thank you, unfortunately I don’t have good pics of the work in progress, sorry.

Maurizio

1 Like

Thank you, this is a great site!

1 Like

Btw, I had a limit of 3 replies on the discussion thread, so I couldn’t answer your sand bags question…. They’re sometimes used to weigh down the stakes when they cannot be readily buried into the ground. I’ve see rare reference illustrations showing them, and they add a little interest so I used them.

2 Likes

Thanks for that reply Maurizio.

1 Like