Viet Nam M-48A3 OD color needed

Heh, I was at Ft. Devens for the first half of 1985, before shipping off to Germany. Of course, I was in the Intel school learning how to copy Morse code. Didn’t meet a lot of 10th Group guys; I suspect they didn’t come around to the School side of the post very often. We did have only BDU’s but hadn’t quite transitioned from steel pot to Kevlar helmets yet. Never saw a C Ration either - First Gen MRE’s were the ration of the day.

Ah yes. They also the ASA students there, many of them female. Their instructors used to tell them to stay away from SF guys because we’d kill them first if the Russians ever attacked - whatever they were learning was that secret. In reality they didn’t want the competition. Of course it made them easy targets in the Snatch bar in the middle of post. Especially if you had a cool bike and an extra helmet.

My old battalion 1/25 Marines has what used to be 10th Group’s HQ on Devens, I used to work over on Barnum Road across from the huge MA ARNG motor pool at the 187th Inf. Bde. from 87-94 (had a sweet gig, too until it all went away).

Alas, the ASA had bitten the dust by the time I arrived at Ft. Devens in January '85 - I was INSCUM. Of course, all the instructors were ASA, and when I arrived at my first duty station in Germany there was a huge ASA sign by the barracks entrance.

Was that Augsburg or Rubble Hill in Berlin? That doesn’t seem very low key.
A couple of the girls I was, um, seeing, at Devens ended up at each. What a nice reunion when I went to Berlin.

Field Station Augsburg, though I know some of my fellow Hawgs from Devens went to FSBerlin. I got the better deal; when I wasn’t working I was traveling to Paris with my HS girlfriend (who was a college exchange student in Bonn by that time) or wandering around the city or even bicycling in the German Alps. Plus two Oktoberfests in Munchen!

You must have known or seen Patty Buck. Absolutely hot Korean chick from Guam.
I’d PM you a photo but my wife threw all of my photos away years ago.

1 Like

Good googly moogly, I think I did - that name is very familiar.

Mission Models makes a color called “Olive Drab/Dark Green 1968-1974”, FS 24087.

Looks to be correct from what I remember from 1976 pre-MERDC. POMCUS stock in USAREUR also came in the dark OD. We drew some tracks for REFORGER 77 in OD.

AK makes a Vietnam set with a darker OD color. AMMO (by MIG) makes one too.

I recall it was definitely a darker OD color, either from more black or blue being in the paint mix.

For the Mission Models reference, what is the product number? MMP-xxx?

MMP172. It’s in stock at Scale Hobbyist