Waste of time ? (idid try to be nice about the title) but the system wouldnt let me

I was not to happy to find that we were moving to new forums, however with time i thought things would get better. I know we have a world wide epidemiic on our hands. but given the time that the new forum has been online, i can say NOT IMPRESSED, my every day visit here is now once every 1-2 months, then i dont see much new or to interest me, however on other sites there is still alot of new stuff and my interest is piqued, may in a short period of time 6-8 months to be a SEVER rethink time. If i had to pay for this site I wouldnt waste my money

1 Like

Joined 28 Dec '20…“my every day visit here is now once every 1-2 months”…

Rightio!.. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Sorry you feel that way. But to be fair, you have 6 days of visits. The site is still developing, and not like the old site. Maybe give it more time.

1 Like

Seems to be having spelling deprivation and a break with reality…no great loss.

As i have said the site needs to look at it self in 6-8 months and see where it is then, I myself find Britmodeller, to answer my questions, due to my severe traumatic head injury,after a blue light call and vehicle role over they can still make out my questions and answer them SSgToms

Read what I have written, not what you want it to say

That’s some constructive criticism right there… What exactly is it that has you in a tizzy? What suggestions do you have to improve the site?

I had to read it a few times, not because of bad grammar, but I could not see one iota of sense in any part of it no matter how many times I read it. And if you only visit this very new, well thought out, and improved site every 1-2 months, yet can’t find anything of interest then you have set yourself a very very high bar.
In my very humble opinion, your statement is completely nonsensical, and for want of a better phrase, a complete crock !
Staff Jim has in his own time given 99.9% of the people who come here a fantastic new site. It is educational, good fun, and full of knowledgeable and friendly people.
What I am really fed up with is that I bothered to read your post in the first place.

6 Likes

@Kefffy
I was not to happy to find that we were moving to new forums, however with time i thought things would get better.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first post!

The good news in all of this is the forum is a friendly and welcoming community for all sorts of modeling.

I’m sure many members have fond memories of the prior site. As a new member, I have the impression the update became necessary. The outstanding content of the prior version of the site is being archived. The site administrators are doing what they can to ease the transition.

The prior site had its share of issues. Uploading pictures was a massive hassle. Also the prior site was difficult to use on many smart phones.

I know we have a world wide epidemiic on our hands. but given the time that the new forum has been online, i can say NOT IMPRESSED, my every day visit here is now once every 1-2 months, then i dont see much new or to interest me, however on other sites there is still alot of new stuff and my interest is piqued, may in a short period of time 6-8 months to be a SEVER rethink time. If i had to pay for this site I wouldnt waste my money

Would it be a fair summarize your views and position as:

1. Kefffy is not entertained by the free content available on a free site.
  2. Kefffy wouldn’t pay for access to the site.
  3. Kefffy hasn’t been actively participating in the new forum.
  4. Kefffy wants the Administrators to make changes to please him despite contributing nothing in the way of participating or financial support to the new site.

@Kefffy, I think the best path forward would be for you to do a build thread and actively participate in the community. Pick a topic/model of interest to you, post up and participate.

Viewing content is nice and fun but the heart of the forum and its best value is interacting with the other members. I was very reluctant to take that step myself but its been well worthwhile.

6 Likes

Well said Armor-Buff! The best way to enjoy a forum is to add to it! But in fairness to Kefffy this is a new format, and a fresh start, so of course the build-up of content is slow and needs time to grow. And I’m not sure from Kefffy’s post if he has been to the “content” sites, since these are now separate from the Forums website (one of the flaws in the new set-up IMHO). It might have helped if a chunk of the old content could have been carried over, but that was not to be.

Kefffy, spend some time looking around, and jump into the discussions - you will find we’re the same old community we always were!

2 Likes

Ditto! I wasnt a fan of the new forums but I soon realized this one is a million times better!

1 Like

3 Likes

I am so sorry, after talking to many people on Armorama over many years, who all have their own opinions by the way, It will get better,was what I was told about the change, am I the only one that remembers people complaining , about moving to a different setup etc. I do remember people being told the site would get better over time ,give it some time, however the point I make is that its not encouraging me to come back, with the progress that has been made I wont return for another couple of weeks and so on, if later on I dont think its for me, I will close my account obviously

I do realise with Covid, and other commitments, they will delay time at the bench and therefore postings
The point I made is for me the site is not what i joined and no longer fits the bill as being fit for MY PURPOSE, this could be due to many things

Staff Jim and others has done a great job I am sure, but the content seems thin on the ground and NOT FOR FOR MY PURPOSE, hence I mentioned the other web site

Any organisation, to move forward needs Information, I dont remember ever being asked or hearing anyone being asked or seeing a request from the staff, what the points that we liked about the old site, thats all of us,so that could be incorporated into the new site. I may be wrong and if thats the case I appologise

1 Like

Most people on here are really helpful, howeverIi my self have a traumatic head injury after being on duty in an Ambulance that rolled over. The points i am making are my own, not anyone elses

I do however believe 2 People on here without knowing the full story, have been in one case down right RUDE. I will never deal with those two people again, one of them I would not urinate on if he was on fire, if you are going to critices somebody know a little bit about them first .

My spelling problems arise from my head injury, some days good, some days bad, some days dont even get out of bed

As for people saying about posting on here,I do not want to post on here, how ever if you look on my previous account, you will see i have accessed the site, retrieved lots of useful information and enjoyed the have builds that that has led to.
Thank you for taking your own time to contact me and reassure me, that is very much appreciated, kind regards kefffy

I’m sorry.

This is you on the old site right?

And this is you on BritModeller right?

Really? Why don’t you just admit you came on here to plug BritModeller and leave it at that.

8 Likes

Well … I don’t want to repeat myself but after Jim’s post…

…Rightio then!.. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Also just for everyone’s sake because people seem to have some odd ideas about new vs. old. Considering the level of users we weren’t able to migrate across (yet!) we are doing just peachy. So I don’t need to wait 6-8 months to reevaluate anything. I could not be MORE happy with the forum software OR the users. The content sites are still in a bit of a work-in-progress state and those could use more work. But the forum… yeah it’s 1000% better than the old one.

BritModeller and every other scale modeling forum out there WISHES they had forum software that works this well and is made as securely with as much attention to detail.

I hope I have been crystal clear on this topic. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Is it possible to improve the appearance of the forum ?

It doesn’t look very welcoming.

Refix the armorama logo with the target point ?

1 Like

I would also like to add something (as this topic is being read by more than just Keith).

It’s true. BritModeler has become a very active forum over the years. I just checked their recent posts stats and they have like 24 active topics (new or with replies) in the last hour. That’s really good. We are at like 8 or 10 usually. And it’s pretty late there so apparently Brits who don’t sleep much are active there too. :slight_smile:

Point being though they are using one of the newer forum software solutions that came around in 2002 or so and has been continually updated and modernized since. It’s decent software. Something KitMaker did not have. So essentially people upset with our change of software and touting the popularity of a site like BritModeller are only making my case for change. Change we probably should have made 10 years ago.

I have no doubt that our forums, now they they support the ease of use in posting posts and photos will gain even more popularity than we ever had. It will of course take some time to meet and exceed sites like BritModeller. But trust me, we will. Because we have something a simple ‘forum only’ sites don’t have, thanks to our content sites. Which again might not have the content they use to, yet… but give them some time to get going. We are already seeing people submitting news, and photos features on Armorama. Including some vendors like ICM, and soon MiniArt.

And… seriously… just tried to setup an account on BM.

At least we don’t do that for Facebook signups. I just wanted to check to see if they even supported direct image uploading. I am pretty sure it does, but was curious. I guess now I will have to see if I am worthy of access. Are they declining anyone that isn’t in the UK? :smiley:

Update: Oh… I guess it looks they only support image uploading for their own reviews. Regular posts have to have their images hosted by 3rd party sites. Oh yes… much superior. :smiley:

Thanks for reading,
Jim

3 Likes

Sure. You can change the color to a dark background if you’d like to. But there will only be an “Armorama” logo if you go to Armorama. And if you look at the content there you’ll find there are discussion threads that lead back here.

This fundamental structure is not going to change though.

Content Sites | Forum Site

I love the new forums Jim, amazing work! :grin:

7 Likes