What color brown did SS-Pz-Abt 102 Normandy Tiger 1 late use

Thanks I have seen normal brown up to Oxide red primer which I think is wrong.

1 Like

That red oxide thing just refuses to go away.

3 Likes

An educated guess says that they used RAL 8017 Red Brown. Now as to exact shade due to dilution ratios by the crews, is anyone’s guess.

1 Like

It’s the gift that keeps on giving lol

4 Likes

Another can of worms! :scream: Next will be Olivgrune. :roll_eyes:
:canada: :smiley:

1 Like

I think we can confidently say red oxide was not a camouflage color.

:face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

Except for the cleaning rod sections.

2 Likes

Well, yeah…

1 Like

I mean, it’s fine if you want to paint your E50 fire engine red — knock yourself out.

But to claim that red Panzers were tooling around with Jabos everywhere, well, that’s a real stretch.

Even Jentz corrected himself on the subject.

2 Likes

Weren’t they (usually) plain wood, with metal (steel) screw-socket ends?
:smiley: :canada:

If a vehicle was painted at the factory, the workers would have used the correct thinners and mixing ratios, so you’d get a close match to the prescribed RAL 8017 Rotbraun. For vehicles painted in the field, one of the early Panzer Colors books notes that the paint was issued to the units as pastes which were to be thinned with fuel and sprayed on the vehicles, but due to shortages of the proper thinning liquid and application tools, they could be thinned to different ratios and applied with different methods, resulting in a ‘red brown’ that ranged from a chocolate brown to a brick red. Unfortunately, black-and-white photographs give few clues to the actual color that was applied.