What do I need for HMS Warspite 1940

Hi Guys,
I know sod all about ships, but really want to do HMS Warspite in her 1940 configuration when she was in Navirk, I think Trumpter do a version of her, but can & what needs to be done to back date it i believe? I would be greatly appreciative of any help & ref pictures as I have none!! And am also wanting to do a future build of the swordfish floatplane on her at the time of the Navirk operation / fighting.
Many thanks in advance
Mike

1 Like

Many of the pictures of the Warspite are from a distance that makes it really hard to tell her configuration accurately (many pictures lack dates). I suggest you pick up a copy of “Warspite, The Battleship. Anatomy of a ship” by Naval Institute Press. The book has her deck configurations from her commissioning to what she looked like after each overhaul.

Mark :beer:

1 Like

This discussion topic on another site:
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=154185

contains a post, Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:09 pm, which says that Trumpeter has missed to include some of the changes made to Warspite after Narvik, it seems that Trumpeters Warspite actually contains some of the backdates you need.

The Anatomy of the Ship book about HMS Warspite shows the looks for 1937 and 1942.
The major refit was after 1940 so the 1937 Warspite should be close if not identical to the looks in 1940.

Hi Mark & Robin,
Many many thanks for the answers, book reference & build blog reference all will be very valuable for getting & making Warspite as close as my sausage fingers will allow it!!

Now I just need to find 1.350th scale Swordfish float planes & Walrus
Cheers
Mike

Many thanks for that Link Robin!! I think between the Swordfish, Walrus & Arado sets I can make what I may need?? :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::joy::joy:

Can’t wait to see her being built.

Lol HG I have to even buy her before I can look at building the Grand Old Lady

1 Like

I leafed through my Warspite book yesterday and the drawings for the 1937 state are very limited.
It does have a short text about the changes/additions made during the Puget Sound refit.
I think that the drawings of the 1942 apperance could let you identify which upgrades Trumpeter have missed, i.e. left the model in the pre 1942 state. The text would then hopefully let you identify the upgrades that need to be undone

Thanks very much for all the help & information Robin, is greatly appreciated!!

I am already thinking in my head about grafting and modifying the Arado floats to fit the swordfish lol

You can also check the shipcraft series book on the QE class battleships. It has really good info on the changes and the timeframe. The AOTS book on the Warspite is somewhat outdated.

A good source of info would also be the Moselwarships forum posted above and the relative Calling All Ship fans part of the forum

1 Like

Thank you very much for that information on the book & new source build blog info too

2 Likes

There is also another book title “The Battleship HMS Warspite” by Kagero. One of the pull out drawings has listings of armaments and location on the decks from 1937 - 1945.
By the way, I just started building the Academy Warspite kit at the start of January. Been meaning to start a build on this forum, just thought I would wait until I made some progress.

Mark :beer:

1 Like

Hi Mark,
Thanks very very much for that information!! And I would love to see, learn & follow your build blog & learn as much as I can about the Warspite!!
Cheers
Mike

1 Like