What do you like to do while building models?

Music, many different genres, whatever my current mood desires/requires.
Nothing visual, I hate cutting myself when my eyes are distracted by something.
No talk radio/pods/whatever, if it is interesting it takes some focus away, if it isn’t interesting …

Just build . Sometimes have a ballgame on or music (Oldies 60s )on in the background . Once in awhile TV .

1 Like

Usually I have You-Tube running the background with
Music- any and all genre’s ,
Movies- anything that take my fancy
Build videos , and a good dose of Gun Jesus :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Podcast like, the history of WW II or a audio book like Old Man’s War.

BBC radio 6 music. Proper music of all genres, although some “interesting”tracks at times. Less talk, more music, and any talk tends to be about music.

Although Radcliffe and Maconie have a great section called “crisps, on the radio”, exactly as it sounds, two middle aged blokes blind tasting different, and mostly weird, flavours of crisps(or chips for our friends west of the pond), and pondering on what in the world they are.

Cheers, J.

2 Likes

If I am listening to music I like, I end up slowing down and listening to the music (I do love me some Pink Floyd). My go to is some Hawaiian slak key guitar. Mellow, sounds great, not distracting and is an instrumental.

1 Like

I usually have Neil deGrasse Tyson’s Star Talk on YouTube playing in the background. It’s usually him or Issac Arthur’s channel playing. I have a bluetooth speaker in my mancave, so I take it next to the spraybooth while airbrushing. Strangely it helps me concentrate while mottling or doing fine work on the model.

Oh man, there are so many things :joy: I usually alternate between listening to music or half-watching netflix, I often make a playlist of music that I think relates to the build. Podcasts too, I often listen to the “Well-There’s-Your-Problem” show.

I tend to listen to music, Podcasts or Q/A sessions from some of my favourite Youtubers. Forgotten Weapons, Chieftain’s Hatch and Drachinifel for the most part. Drachinifel just put out another 5.5hr long one so thats got me set for a while.

It’s only radio for me.
Either hard rock/heavy metal- though I had problems with head banging occuring repeatedly- or Bulgarian pop music.

When I enter my modelling cave the first 2 things I do subconsciously are:
1.Grab for the switch of my modelling lamp and
2.Grab to switch on the radio.

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

I just started to listening to music while building. Normally it would be whatever annoying ambient sounds in the house. ( the washing machine has been getting to me).
I created a list on Amazon music and been listening to that.
It’s call kick ass if anyone wants to search it. ( metal)

2 Likes

Ezra,

Don’t tell me you can sit quiet and build a model, while listening to…

I can’t- I’m shaking like Angus and leave all sharp objects away.
For me it’s either AC/DC or modelbuilding.

Now Rolling Stones- that’s another story

:beer:

1 Like

if any of you have seen my posts in the 30th Anniversary of the first gulf war campaign then I have been giving a list of shows and series thay I have been watching on Netflix. at the moment I’m working on my blue ray box set of SPACE: 1999 which was a first wedding anniversary present from my wife.

2 Likes

I’ve never been one to listen to podcasts but in the last few months working away from home I have been listening to the podcasts “We have ways of making you talk” with Al Murray (who makes armour models) and James Holland. Also as a bit of light hearted comedy I listen to “Off Menu”, a fantasy dream restaurant with Ed Gamble and James Acaster. I have also just found “Warfare” with a lot of episodes from Dan Snow. I have been hooked on listening to these while working on my current projects and as an evening un-wine-d. (Always close at hand)

2 Likes

Hi
I just had a mention on the UK’s SCALA DAB radio as I made models, they’d asked for who had hobbies :slight_smile: Or Classic FM, or Mike Oldfield or Rick Wakeman CDs.
Doesn’t want to be too quiet or too noisy. The background helps focus attention.
If in the house, kit building, then wife and I will likely watch TV. Helps her not to feel isolated too. Warmer than in the log cabin, as we’ve had to watch the heating costs of late (big increase!).

Cheers
Andrew T

1 Like

I like listening to music. What type of music depends upon my mood. I have a iPod full of music, plus an ever expanding Spotify account and music playlists on YouTube.

1 Like

For me it is Pandora radio.
I have a station created that is called Model Music.
It ranges from Tracy Chapman to Sabaton. There is a ton of Dio on that station .

Usually Sci-fi.
I generally work my way through my DVD boxsets or Netflix. Usual favourites are Babylon 5, Red Dwarf and Star Trek. Currently half way through Voyager. Not my favourite series admittedly, but had a few good episodes.

Which reminds me, I still need to pick up my Stargate SG-1 sets from my parents. Still so much stuff I haven’t moved out!

Working on a A6M5 Zero currently. Have on the soundtrack scores for Tora! Tora! Tora! (Jerry Goldsmith) and Midway (John Williams) playing on my work area sound system to put me in the proper frame of mind.

1 Like