What does everyone think?

I hated the old site, or at least the technical side of it. Something to do with having an IT background.

Still, I kept coming back because of the huge content, and because the real value of the site is in its people, and this is quite a fun place to be.

The new site is a technical blessing, much better, and not only the uploading of pictures (also security for instance). It has one disadvantage that it is less “unique” (being based on commonly used platforms) and has less modelling specific features (the modelling oriented user ranking for instance). I wonder if many people could on short notice produce a 5 point list of what they miss most from the old site?

What I would value a lot is a better integration of the archive with the new site, I read that work is on-going on this so patience, as so often, is the key.

All together, the new set-up is hugely better than the old one.

Job very well done, I would say :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I love it. Far more active on here since the change than in the years previously. Much more intuitive and therefore easy to use. Really feel part of the community on here as a result tbh.

4 Likes

Tim I agree with you on both accounts. a little harder to find your way around here, the old site everything was laid out for you on the one page, but so much easier to post photos.

joe

I wish it was all laid out on one page. That way it would be taking me 5 months to archive 250,000 pages. :smiley:

1 Like

i can give you three right now
1 loss of ranking
2 no dedicated campaign/enlistment page
3 as i stated to tim, not as easy to find your way around.
i will have to explore more to see anything else

the plus side is the ease of posting photos directly.
the knowledge of the members and willingness to offer help. also the opportunity to make new friends around the world.
but drabslab you may have a good idea.if jim would consider another topic page for members to offer suggestions or ask questions.

joe

I have to say I really like the new site. Its great to browse and post easily and quickly from a phone. I’ve also been making use of the excellent ‘Draft’ post/topic function- very handy to be able to add photos from a phone (where my model pictures are) and then edit or type a bit more from a computer before posting.

Plus adding pictures from anywhere is very easy- and the edit post function is very fast and easy to use.

2 Likes

A bit late to the topic but I firstly would say I like the new site now that I have the learning curve down. On the negative, not a huge fan of the emoji reactions thing. Seems to invite trolls.
I’m a huge fan of how easy it is now to post content, pictures etc. Very user friendly and once you get the login thing down it’s great to switch between sites (for me that would be Armorama and Aeroscale)

1 Like

Some previous members seem to have disappeared! :disappointed:
:smiley:

Yes. Unfortunately.
We have gained some new members as well
AND some members left the old site as well so there is always
an inflow/outflow

1 Like

I just saw a news article last week where Discourse just got 20 million in investment money so they clearly are doing something right. Somehow I doubt the folks over at tap-a-talk (the forum software some other scale modeling sites are using) have even seen a fraction of that kind of money.

That other site doesn’t do in a week what this site does in a day.

1 Like

It took awhile , and in some cases still<,to get used to the new site, But Im old and set in my ways lol . But its far better then the old site ! My only complaint is those “earned badges” are really dumb! ;lol

1 Like

I much prefer the new forums to the old. Much easier to post photos and post them directly vs the clunky process on the old forum. I also think that scrolling a post is easier than navigating pages within a post.

2 Likes

What I Like in the new format:

• Site is responsive
  • Easy to Navigate once you know what you want
  • Easy image upload. Hated the photobucket upload eariler.
  • Now I can Like a post :slight_smile: without any weired comment and such…
  • Admins support in the new format. Much quicker response from them now…

What I did not like in the new format:

• Campaign management page and my campaigns start / end dates in one place.
  • I Miss those ribbons and the discussions around designing them… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • Separate logins for Kitmaker network and different sites

But I realize the benefit outweighs cons. So All is well :slight_smile:

1 Like