What the postman brought today (AeroScale)

Its a great kit Russ, I built it recently for the 80th Guadalcanal Campaign

looking forward to when you do yours and this Midway theme.

4 Likes

From the balkans

1 Like

John, that’s an awesome looking F4! Great work!

Been reading the Story of the big E and loved the recent Midway Movie, that it’s inspired me to build all 3 of the major US airframes… Hopefully won’t have to wait too long for a TBD (from Arma :crossed_fingers:)… In the meantime I’m gonna make a start on what I’m calling an Illustrious Taranto Duology :hugs:

1 Like

Does that mean we will soon have a new thread over on Modelshipwrights to follow?.. :smiley:

1 Like

Never say “never”, Rory… :hugs:

For the “duology” I’ve got a Swordfish in 1/72 lined up next on the bench, and a Fairey Fulmar on pre order with the LHS… How they relate to a planned Model Ship Wrights thread… Well, time will tell :blush:

I also took 2 mig 29 “ghost of kyiv” with the T72B3, planning on doing a ghost as digital camo, the other inspired by the ukrianian falcon mig 29

The insiration for the second:

5 Likes

Needed some paint and yellow cap thinner and something else to hitchhike on the shipping
charges - looks to be an amazing kit . I think it just bumped some others in the build queue.

6 Likes

Great, would be great, if you post about the building process of your hawker hunter with indian marking

Freshly delivered… rom my trusty little shop:

7 Likes

@basco like the look of that Atlantic and have my eye on that Cheetah as well.

Well not the postie, but my haul from the recent IPMS SMW Telford.

6 Likes

That’s a fine trio Littorio, especially the Kinetic Gold ones are way up the usual Kinetic quality.

Well friends, these arrived

She’ll be finished as “Grey Nurse”

and I’ve decided to expand my Illustrious duology to a trilogy and added this

Now, I just need to acquire some FAA decals for her…
:grin:

7 Likes

As far as I remember all FAA Corsairs had clipped wings, except the early Birdcages. Right?

1 Like

No idea mate, i just know they used the F4-U 1a variant :sunglasses::+1:

1 Like

As @BlackWidow says, the FAA chopped the wingtips of the Corsairs giving them a more squared tip. It was so they could fit in the carriers. Can’t remember how much, but I think the cut was made where the tip navigation light was. Shouldn’t be difficult to do.

2 Likes

A bit of time with a fine saw and a sanding pad and it shouldn’t be hard at all :hugs:

1 Like

Russ, years ago I have built a Birdcage-Corsair in FAA markings out of the 1/48 Tamiya kit. They were the only Corsairs which had no clipped wings because they were based in Northern Ireland for training the pilots. That’s what I know.
Sadly this build had a serious landing accident. I built it with folded wing and it crashed beyond repair returning from a model show some years ago … :face_with_head_bandage: :frowning_face:

Hi @chuchinhq Sure. Currently I have 3 on the Bench. Mosquito, T34 dio and M1A1. I will have complete these before I start Hawker Hunter I think… :slight_smile:

@Russelle the F4U-1A with the bubble canopy would be a Corsair II in FAA service of which 510 were received. Regarding the clipped wing heres a little info;

Modifications to the F4U included the clipping of the wings by eight inches due to the smaller confines of the hangar decks on British carriers. This change in span brought with it the unexpected bonus of improved sink rate, and so partially eradicating the aircraft’s propensity for floating in the final stages of landing .

1 Like

Some goodies from Inside The Armour. I did the cover to the Models For Ukraine Vol 2, plus a chapter on building Roden’ 1/48 Junkers D.I (lange). Order your copy today- every bit of profit goes to humanitarian aid for the embattled people of Ukraine.

4 Likes