What the postman brought today (AutoModeler)

D,
Congrats for winning the People’s Choice award in Gabriel’s online model auto club.

Anything by Tamiya will be a 1st rate kit and build. Just not sure if it’s more of a curbside or a detailed suspension and engine/trany kit.

Joel

Congrats D. a well deserved award.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback guys, definitely a great honour to be chosen amongst such wonderful builds!

Joel, this one is a curbside kit, but an initial scan through the contents shows a great lot of detail!

Cheers, D

Congratulations D

And a great prize, not built a civil version but the Tamiya race Skyline I built some years ago was a fun and enjoyable build, so enjoy that prize.

Ordered this on Saturday, turned up today. Really nice looking kit.

Andy :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Andy,
It’s one of Tamiya’s best. I just ordered the Hasbro decals from Spot for my build later this year.

Joel

2 Likes

Hi Joel,
Yeah It is a gorgeous looking kit. The Hasbro scheme going to look nice.
I have the Linkin Park decals in my cart on Hiroboy, but Im just waiting for the Mr Leveller thinner to come into stock.

Andy,
I placed my order with Spot Models for those decals, plus the Mazda 787b for the Tamiya kit that I’ve had in my stash for a while, plus some Tamiya and HLJ piping wire. With the difference in exchange rates my order nearly increased by 50% and then there’s the UPS charges @ $30 plus their exchange rate. the order now came in at a whopping $103. I paid via Pay Pal and got confirmation from both PP and Spot. Then spot sent me a email that my order is on hold. I emailed them ASAP as to why. No answer as yet, but odds are that I’ll be cancelling by tonight. I’m betting that the Mazda decal sheet is now out of stock. They have a nasty habit of letting anyone put anything in their shopping cart, but until it’s paid for, it’s up for grabs. I got that info the last time I ordered.

So if there’s a supply issue, I just want to cancel everything.

Joel

Hi,
That’s a shame with the Haribo decals, and I bet you can’t get those decals anywhere else as the are an inhouse brand. Who are the Mazda decals by?
Seems a very lot of money.
Well lets hope you can still get them.

Andy,
The Mazda 787b decals are by Studio27, this is the 3rd printing that I know of. But they’re sold out ASAP everywhere.

Heard from Spot, but I have no idea what the guy from Customer service was trying to say. So I still don’t know if my order is going to be shipped or not. I’ll give it a few days and see what’s up, especially since I also want those Hasbro decals.

Joel

Andy,
Just got two more emails from Spot Models. All is well.

My order was placed on Hold because I left a comment and someone had to read it before it was processed. All I asked them to do was to please pack the decal sheets well enough so that they don’t get creased or damaged during the long transit from Spain to NYC.

Joel

1 Like

Well that’s good news, lets hope it all arrives well packaged.
Is it this set for the Mazda?
Mazda 787B sponsored by Efini - Japan GT Championship JGTC 1991

Andy,
It’s the iconic Charge Green/Orange scheme.
Joel

and here’s the Big Merc AMG GT3 scheme. To bad I’ve been spelling the sponsor name wrong: it’s Haribo.

joel

5 Likes

I do love that 787 scheme, Whenever I think of the Mazda that scheme always springs to mind.
That is a intriguing scheme for the Merc, should look very nice once done.

Andy,
The Mazda 787B Charge scheme kind of went viral, and is about as iconic as a scheme could be. The car wasn’t a front runner back in those days, and only drew attention at LeMans because of that scheme. From a modeler’s point of view (me), it’s going to be a killer to duplicate.

The Merc AMG GT3 Haribo scheme will be my 1st matt black finish. the paint is smooth as silk but Matt not Gloss. Should be another challenge as I’m thinking of going with a 50/50 mix of Dullcoat/Glosscoat or Mr Color’s C36 Gloss (my go to gloss) and their Matt clear if they actually have one. Not even sure if I go through the standard polishing system i use 1st. But who couldn’t love a sponsor that has a cute Teddy Bear on the car?
Joel

Hi Joel,
I fell in love with the Mazda scheme whilst playing Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec on the PlayStation.
I must admit is does look a pain to paint.
As the car is matt, are the markings on the real car matt as well or were they glossy at all?

Andy,
The Mazda scheme is a high gloss finish. the Merc AMG GT3 Haribo is one of the smooth Matt paint finishes such as Ferrari and Red Bull have used in F1 for the last several years.

Joel

1 Like

Well postie brought me this yesterday.

To be built in the box art scheme.

2 Likes

Luciano
Absolutely a fantastic kit. And those kit decals over smooth as silk Mat Black is a winner for sure. The kit is the 2018 Merc AMG GT3 car, but my decal set I just ordered the other day from Spot Models:

is for the 2016 car which is of course out of stock everywhere. Same Mat Black finish, so we can compare ideas for it. I’ve found a few on ebay: USA only as I’ve had terrible luck with USPS out of the orient and then bouncing around the USA for literally a few months.

As for your kit decals, the reviews have them printed by Cartograf. Can’t ask for better then that.

Joel

Thank Joel, if you keep watching there is another parcel due in the next couple of days. :wink: