What the postman brought today (Modelgeek)

A big orange swirly thing in space!

It’s not a set of figures unless at least one is pointing. Should be easy to change that pose a bit.
These are nicer than the bridge figures. I’m already weighing up the pros and cons of swapping them. The figures from the bridge set don’t have to be that accurate to sit in the shuttle, whereas these would be more at home on the bridge. You do at least get the full cast, the bridge figures were short a couple.

2 Likes

Had a play around with the figures today and found that yes I think it will be possible to swap them over.

The original bridge figures are in white plastic (a nightmare to photograph) and the grey is the new shuttle figure. As you can see, he is physically much bigger and better proportioned. It might still be possible to use the standing Spock and McCoy with them.

In the all important captain’s chair, the new figure sits perfectly. In comparison, the original figure looks like a child sat in a seat far too big for him.

They will fit the other bridge chairs, but the centre post will need to be increased in height. Not a difficult job, but I do wonder if they might end up being sat too high for the consoles?

And the good news is that the bridge figures will fit the seats in the shuttle. If you’re building the shuttle closed up with a couple of LED’s in the ceiling, they’ll be more than acceptable.

Hope this helps.

6 Likes

My latest Macross/Robotech acquisition is the 1/72 Tomahawk Destroid by Wave. This was a lucky find as it was no longer available at HLJ.

5 Likes

Excellent news. They will make a huge difference to the command deck when finished. They look much better detailed. If they don’t fit under the console, cut the boots off and shorten the top. You will never notice that.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea. I was also wondering about the possibility of making a cut behind the knee and bending the legs forward a little. Or maybe behind for some variety. If you position those so they’re turning to face the viewscreen they wouldn’t need to fit under the bridge side consoles anyway.
They’re a huge improvement over the old figures and will look great on the bridge. I haven’t got a photo of it yet, but the shuttle interior decal sheet does include the Starfleet bladges and sleeve insignia.

2 Likes

Bought this blast from the past on a whim.

Definitely going to be painted as the giant space amoeba from the TOS episode ‘The Immunity Syndrome’

Not many parts and all in clear.

Some more retro kits from the line on the back. I want that Allison turboprop and Wright Cyclone!

6 Likes

That’s what the shuttle crew is pointing at.

3 Likes

Scotty definitely shouting ‘What the bloody hells that!’

2 Likes

YES! Best idea I’ve heard so far for this kit. I bought one as well but haven’t started it yet except make an inbox video review :grin:

4 Likes

My guess would be something along the lines of…“Whatever that is, let’s send the red shirt crewman in first”. :open_mouth:

4 Likes

‘Ensign, poke it with a stick. See what happens and report back.’

2 Likes

Thanks, I thought we might like that idea here!

It’s an interesting little slice of plastic kit history. Definitely something you don’t see everyday. Think they’ll be fun to paint. Better get a couple of new pots of Tamiya clears!

2 Likes

The formally employed red shirt ensign they had just sent to investigate the UFO.

4 Likes

“Cap’n. There’s somthin’ trying to Klingon off the starboard bow.”

3 Likes

I need to get those and attach them to my car windows to keep tailgaters back! :microbe::microbe::microbe::microbe::microbe:

—mike :grin:

2 Likes

@justsendit, I am sure you have seen these cracked windows by balls sticker…

just do similar but with Chinese made ball and half of the country will leave you alone.

:joy:

4 Likes

That’s almost Balok’s ship!

Work sent us home early because of the heavy snow over here today. Arrived home to find this waiting for me. Honestly, this is the last ship I have on the way!

Had been watching this one for a while on eBay and the seller sent me an offer I couldn’t refuse. Confession time, I’m not a huge fan of Discovery. Caught some episodes when it first started on Netflix, but just wasn’t feeling it. I did think the Shenzhou was a cool design though. Not sure yet about the red trim, would prefer Starfleet pale blue-grey, but it might grow on me. I do like the TMP style font for the registry and name.

Only one I’m after now is the 1/1000 Reliant.

9 Likes

I had these two arrive today.

14 Likes

Oh man! What a great haul! :warning:

“Well, I can drive that Loader. I have a Class 2 Rating”…

—mike :grin:

1 Like

Good finds!

These are almost impossible to find for sensible prices in the UK. Hope you plan on doing a build log for them.

2 Likes