What the postman brought today (Modelgeek)

It’s a really nice kit isn’t it!
I got one on its first release. Have yet to actually start it.

yeah, it actually is. I wasn’t sure what to expect before I opened the box.

1 Like

The interior is very nicely done and so are the figures. Good size too.
I did pick up a decal set which had the interior stenciling, instrument panel etc. I can’t remember who made it right now, but I think I got it from Starshipmodeler.com store. Might be worth checking out if the reissue still lacks them.

At the moment, I’m waiting on the 1/350 USS Grissom to arrive. Think they’re on the slow boat to the UK!

1 Like

Or went through the wrong wormhole and are in the delta quadrant :grin:

4 Likes

…and some Kazon is now rubbing his hands together with glee…

2 Likes

They’re definitely somewhere!
Have had it on pre-order for months. Unrelated, but I’ve been waiting for the Amiga A500mini for just as long and it’s release keeps getting delayed. I’m hoping both arrive by the Easter holidays so I have something to play with!

2 Likes

Sold to him by an unscrupulous Ferengi used ship salesman, who claims it’s the latest Federation warship.

3 Likes

And it’s arrived!

Only had a quick look in the box, but it looks really nice on the sprues. All the windows are open and can be backed with clear parts.
When I get a chance over the weekend, I’ll post lots more photos if anyone’s interested.

9 Likes

My holidays start tomorrow (one of the perks of my job), so if anyone is interested, I’ll get some close up photos and share my thoughts on the kit.

3 Likes

I do not get this as to me it looks like an air brush made into a space craft. Are they running out of ideas for kits?

3 Likes

Definitely looks like an AB with bits stuck on it. Maybe that is what is supposed to be? People find inspiration from the weirdest places.

That is exactly what it is. The whole purpose was to take a common modeling item and turn it into some kind of kit. Airbrushes just happen to look kind of starshipish.

Wasn’t it sponsored or a challenge from an airbrush company to Sci-Fi one of their airbrushes with a famous Sci-Fi designer? That was the rumor I read.

2 Likes

Peter, that will make sense. Otherwise I don’t see why bother. Don’t get me wrong, I have seen guys use coke bottle and turn it into something amazing and unrecognizable. This is an airbrush. Well, pardon me…airbrushcraft. :grin:

It would be interesting to know how many units of this kit they sold as I am sure some rushed to stores to buy it as to some it looks cool and fancy.

1 Like

I just looked at a few reviews of it. I would like to see one built and how much they are? I actually think it looks quite fun and has a certain appeal.

2 Likes

Seems Iwata had a a hand in it:

4 Likes

My kit was $82 shipped from Lucky Model.

Yes, I think this was done with Iwata involvement so being an airbrush seems on brand to me.

1 Like

Lets get it built then :grin: :+1:

Does it give you the dimensions ?

2 Likes

I think so. I will go check in a little bit.

Yes, 272mm (length - 10 3/4”) x 41mm (width - 1.5”) x 70mm (height - 2 3/4”). A decent size for what it is.

12 pages of instructions in a Bandai kit format. There is 5 different colored sprue (one is frosted clear) and a four color paint reference guide to only modo colors.

I think to get away from looking like a plastic toy, painting the sprues ahead time and touch up later is probably the way to go be masking everything afterwards and what I currently plan to do went it gets in the rotation.

2 Likes