When your model topic becomes less interesting

I’ve experienced something similar to this a few times- I call it ‘modeller’s block’. Once I went and concentrated on another hobby (about two years until I was back to modelling) and I ended up wanting to go back to modelling but it took quite some time to actually find something to motivate me to actually get back at it. Best not to worry about it too much- I didn’t doubt I would get back to it, the real pain in the arse was waiting for and looking and then finding the inspiration to put me back at the bench.

2 Likes

Then there’s the two-decade gap most of us have, starting in our early 20s, as we discover “work” and “social drinking” in their various forms! I had time off until I got married and had a settled life in a permanent house.

5 Likes

You forget the kids… They are heavy time consumers too!

3 Likes

It not just time but money as well.

1 Like

And (modelling)space

1 Like

In addition to all the excellent replies, I’ll add these comments.

1. Do the various tank transporters have tanks on them to transport? That might be a natural continuation building on a core interest.

2. Making a favorite truck model build interesting again could be done a couple of ways:

a) Build an appropriate artillery piece for a favorite truck model to tow.

b) Build a towed artillery piece for an already completed truck or other prime mover. Likewise, there’s a fair number of combinations of trucks with guns mounted in the cargo area.

c) Pretty much every side captured trucks from the other side at some point and remarked and or repainted them for use.

d) Build a another truck kit that you like but use a different technique painting. Like hair spray chipping or winter camo or rock old school with washes & dry brushing etc.

1. Try a half track or armored car build. These often have interesting suspensions. Some were even truck based.

2. Try a technical build. It’s removed from WW2 but combines trucks and guns!

I wouldn’t mind driving this bad boy in rush hour traffic with a good gunner in the bed!

1. Expand into Diorama

As for keeping the building MoJo percolating personally, I discovered that “medium” or smaller projects are best that can be completed in ~100 hours or less from start to finish. That means avoiding some of the overly complicated super kits with 1,000 to 2,000+ parts counts as they are typically slow time consuming builds.

2 Likes

Of course Technicals aren’t just a post-war phenomenon!

There are lots of variations you can build on WW2 trucks, if you are willing to do some cross-kitting and scratch-building.

4 Likes

I think you hit the nail on the head there, i think that’s where I’m at.
Going through a downer doesn’t help

Started building WWII armor back in Junior High inspired by the Shep Paine Monogram Kits. Mostly German but a fair number of US and Russian subjects as well. Almost all tracked vehicles with a few soft skins here and there. Then, about 8-10 years ago I quite suddenly got tired of the same old routine. God know how many Tigers, Panthers, Stugs, I had built. Switched over to Cold, War, IDF, Nam, modern stuff and have had no regrets. Still mostly tracked vehicles but a few more soft skins.

What you are describing sounds a bit like burnout (which can take many shapes and forms and not all of them are purely stress related)
That big diorama and all the mental energy that went into it may have “exhausted” you even if the work went fine and you got a lot of encouragement.

Maybe try a straight forward, no frills, no AMS, OOB-build. Make sure it isn’t anything that you might feel tempted to include in your big masterpiece.
Maybe something easy to assemble from Tamiya without a gazillion parts.

1 Like

I dabble in armor (all nationalities), aircraft (all types), ships (again all types - sailing ships to modern) and figures (fantasy/sci-fi, historical, and military) in all scales from 1/2000 - 1/24. My stash is very varied. When I get tired of one topic I have several others to choose from…or just read a book for inspiration.
:smiley: :canada:

Needless to say, I have several unfinished projects on shelves! :disappointed:

1 Like

Modeling has to be some sort of coping mechanism. (At least it is for me!)

Work, wife, family, house, bills . . . .

. . . it seems like I modeled the most when I was the most pressed for time in my life! (Made for a great lack of sleep back in those days!)

1 Like

OK, here is a “be careful what you wish for” warning:

I used to wish for greater underbody and engine detail on my softskin armor kits. (and took great pleasure in scratch building what I felt was missing.)

But now-a-days a kit may have 300+ parts to assemble on the engine & chassis BEFORE you even get to the body!

Years ago I scratch built/converted a Mercedes Field Car. I recently tried building the currently available model. The suspension had so many parts and was rather poorly aligned that with the chassis almost complete I just gave up and closed the box. (It became a chore rather than a pleasure!)

As I say “be careful what you wish for.” Because I got my wish and now I have to live with it!

(That sort of reminds me of a old Twilight Zone episode about a gambler who died and thought he had gone to heaven because everything he had ever wanted was laid at his feet . . . . )*

3 Likes

Gosh, I remember that episode! Brings back memories…

1 Like

You got to keep it varied,I never settle into one genre.My list could be a Tiger,followed by an F-14,followed by a Challenger,followed by the Graf Spee,and back to a Stug and a JS-2

So I dont get into a rut

1 Like

My suggestion is to build something completely different, and do a good job on it

Different subject, different skill set. Something out of your comfort zone but achievable

If you want to stay closer to your trucks, try this.

To avoid the doldrums I keep a verity of kits in my stash. For me, about 70% are armor. The rest are ships, planes and cars. I think most of us get on a topic and after building x number of kits just need a break.

Hi thank you for the ideas.
Really appreciate you bothering to answer along with everyone else.

1 Like

And when someone releases a kit of that Waco YMF I’ll be right there with $ in hand - the most beautiful aircraft ever . If lusty images offend then look away because that is airplane centerfold material…

Well, having all the replies for which i thank you.
I have found The 1/24 EMHAR Bedford collection. I have purchased the Tanker to start with. It’ll be totally new for me not to be doing military camouflage.
Thanks again for the ideas and suggestions

4 Likes

There you go! I wasn’t even aware of these, having looked them up I think they will be a great diversion! I hope you’ll share in the “Trucks” category perhaps?

Jimbo

1 Like