Who has the best LATE 1/72 King Tiger?

Whichever kit you get, have fun! Also…you know that the jack and wood block were deleted on post 1944 Tigers?
:smiley:

I did, thank you! I read they even went down to one tow cable in March '45 figuring the other vehicle had one as well. No Zimmerit, no AA ring, beveled loader’s hatch and enlarged hinge, sighter’s viewport visor and some had no fenders yet the attachments were still on the chassis. They hung three-down single links on the turret sides and weird, but added 5 small loops on turret sides for camouflage even so late in the game. External and internal paint was only the red primer, some added some olivgrun. I can pretty much accomplish all of that. It’s the track and 18-tooth drive sprocket that will be the extra $$$.

Don’t believe the fable that the tanks went into combat in red primer. The reality was that they were no longer entirely covered with dark yellow as a base coat. They were partially (1/3) covered with the dark yellow; 1/3 green; and 1/3 brown. Orders from Dec. '44 said all components were to be factory-painted Olive-grun. I believe there are few pics that can conclusively prove any were painted like that. Even the Kassel “Octopus” Tiger is hard to determine whether the primary color is green, or dark yellow. BTW, even though it purports to be one of the final production Tigers, it retains the MG ring on the cupola. It also doesn’t have the extra spare track hangers, or camouflage loops on the turret sides. Apparently, details could vary from factory to factory!

You could be right, Leo. We just don’t know. I’m not into fabricating fantasies, but there were some oddities in the Spring of '45. I used to collect WWII handguns and always loved the late stuff. It was all so unique!! Early war, things were nice looking and shiny. Mid-war was boring. Late war, unique! Love it!!! :slight_smile:

I told you fellas I’d let you know what kit I go with. I decided, for now anyhow, to pick-up the Italeri for two reasons: One, my local hobby shop only had that one; Two, no matter which kit I’d pick, I want the 18-tooth drive sprocket and track. So, I realize I’ll have to move some things and add some other things, but it may work alright on a tight budget. I also ordered (don’t tell my wife) the PE set from Royal Model because it was on sale at 44% off. I’d love to kitbash it with a Revell, but $$$. Later and thanks! Big thanks to Leo and Henk’s website too!!!

Maybe you´re looking for something like this?
with a touch of this?

Exactly!!! Thank you for the pictures!!!

The KT in the screen shot has an unusual bulge on the turret side where the roof angle is. Is this the proposed version with stereoscopic gun sights? Too bad the film is not dated. There also appears to be no MG ring on the commanders cupola.

All correct, Leo. The AA ring was discontinued in early '45. The gun sights never made to production as far as I know. So, that specific Tiger could possibly have been the only one. Very cool!

Is an early wooden mockup, presented to Hitler before producton of the regular vehicle started.
The first one is a picture of a real late vehicle, later than “Octopus” if the turret features mean something.

Thank you so much, FJ! I “would” have never guessed the second picture was a wooden Tiger!

Dave :+1:

You´re wellcome. What do you think about the paintjob on the late tiger? Do I see things or it could be dot ambush?

Boy, FJ, I’m not certain. With just black and white, it’s difficult to say for sure. I see a couple dots, they may be the ones you see, but I wonder if they are spills of some kind, oil or grease? I don’t see them anywhere else, but maybe I miss something?
Dave

Hey, DaveBob; how’s your Tiger coming? :thinking:

I finished the 1/87, can’t post pics yet I guess. But, I ordered a FlyHawk and Italeri Tiger II and will begin working on it after my Father-in Law passes here any day now. How you doing???

You’re going to see a BIG difference between Flyhawk and Italeri, and you’re going to wonder, “Why the heck did I buy the Italeri?” :thinking: :woozy_face:
Doing well. Working on a couple of Dragon/Trumpeter Sturmtigers.