WIP: Tamiya PZ IV Ausf F, North Africa Dio

This is the best place to learn. Everyone here is super kind and helpful and gives you feedback that makes you a much better modeller, much faster.

4 Likes

If the vehicle came over with the initial vehicles in '41, it was in Panzer grey and the Balkenkreuz were black and white on grey. When the sand color was applied in theater, or the mix of petrol and dirt at the very beginning, the continental markings were simply masked off. Later, the black on white crosses were painted over the sand color. The DAK palms were usually added on top of the sand color whether done in Italy prior to shipping or later. 21st panzer’s sign was only added later when it was upgraded from 5th Light, and prior used the 3rd Panzer’s sign, but even that was painted over in theater. Only the review in Tripoli would likely show the 3rd Pz Div sign on the vehicles and then along with the early war rhomboids on the side. I confess, I love the markings as little bits of history that puts the vehicle in a place in time.

5 Likes

Outstanding build. You certainly achieved your goal.

I have one of these barely underway.

Cheers,

George

2 Likes

Completed this mini diorama, more of a vignette really called - EXITING EGYPT.

We see an Afrika Korps Panzer sat on a road, in the middle of a run for the border with the crew tensely scanning the skies for the hated British fighter bombers.

The badge is of the Afrika Korps and it is an oblique nod to the palm tree in the foreground as that unit’s emblem, hence why the tree is, perhaps unusually, front and center instead of the tank which you’d normally expect to be the focal point. It’s as if the tank is hiding behind the tree a little, which is what I was going for - it adds to the sense of tension as befitting a defeated German armoured corps headed for Tunisia after being well beaten by Montgomery at El Alamein.

The model is the Tamiya Pz IV ausf F kit and it was a dream to put together and weather, you saw how much I enjoyed painting this one in the posts above. The figures are very meh, figures remain the very obvious weak point in my 1/35 work but I will get better with them over time and these don’t look so bad as to detract from the overall feel. I originally did the Africa Korps brown colour on the shirts but it looked oddly dark to me, didn’t look right at all so I went with a much-lightened alternative (getting almost uncomfortably close to British khaki in fact) which I think fits better with the overall aesthetic and gives a hint of how much dust and sunlight bleaching there is going on. Is it realistic? I’m not sure, but it looks “right” to me so I’m alright with it, I think. Depending on what you all reckon, I might give it a light brown filter to tone it down and make it more Afrika Korps brown, Or I’ll leave it.

The base was plaster from RT Dio heavily modified by me, with a resin tree and a lot of rocks and so on. I added balsa round the sides, painted black, and the badge was sourced from a dealer in China. I like how the tank blends into the dust feel of the rest of the scene. There are a fair few dust layers, pigments and so on in here, you could go absolutely mad with this sort of thing and I wonder if maybe I could have gone a bit heavier on the light dust pigments, what do you all think?

Total build time was around 45 hours. Not bad considering it was only supposed to be a palate cleanser between bigger builds. The Faun meanwhile rumbles on, and so does the Schutzenpanzer Puma on the back… :slight_smile:

Hope you like it. Let me know what you think.

11 Likes

Annoying thing is how the tracks look as though they are off the ground in the photos - they are flat on the base but in parts the base is falling away beneath them so it looks like they are hovering. They aren’t, but they look like it. The tank isn’t fixed to the base so I am thinking about removing it and putting in some mud and small rocks along the track line and perhaps moving the big stone on the left side so that it looks more “connected”…

3 Likes

Looks fantastic, I am getting ready to start the same kit for the 1942 group build.

3 Likes

Thanks mate, you’ll love it. Absolute dream of a kit to build. Genuinely good fun.

4 Likes

The colors seem quite good to me on the shirts. All the pictures show quite light colored shirts and yours seem very well done. I think that there would likely be more dust on the spare track on the front of the hull and center of the upper hull, as well as on the spare road wheel, the tarps and the water cans. From my experience driving on dirt roads, I would really add more dust on the muffler, the pail, and the back of the hull where my car really piles it up. I guess they are stopped to scan for planes since no one is driving. I would like to see a divisional sign left of the driver’s visor, but that’s just me.

3 Likes

Headphone covers were orange at that time…
Otherwise, that’s great painting.

David

2 Likes

That’s interesting. Got any sources or pix to see what hue of orange? When did this start or stop since you mentioned “at that time”?

1 Like

Rubber is naturally almost white, so it takes its colour from the various additives used in manufacture.
All Panzer headphone covers were in the orange-brown range until 1942, when the new intercom system with an electronic amplifier was gradually introduced, and black headphone covers were used for the first time. Some older tanks got upgraded, but I don’t think that effort would reach into Africa.

There are many, many photos of the old headphones, but very few of them are in colour.

David

3 Likes

Brilliant stuff David, thank you - I will repaint the covers. Love little details like that, thanks so much :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Your diorama is really well done and fun to look at. Very inspiring. As usual, I especially like all the stuff hanging off the tank. :slightly_smiling_face: The ground work looks very realistic to me.

3 Likes

Thanks Doug :slight_smile: It makes me happy that you guys like what I do.

1 Like

That is great info. I might even have that sketch, but never noticed that detail. Thanks very much.

3 Likes

What a great build and diorama to show it off.

Cheers,

George

2 Likes

Thanks George! :slight_smile: I really appreciate it

1 Like

Superb job! Your skill set seems to rival anyone’s!

Bill

2 Likes